Suggestions needed: How to fill/cover soffit holes after camera removal

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
We are selling our home of 14 years. During that time, I've installed 30+ cameras - including one embedded in my mailbox post aimed back at the house. The realtor feels that I should remove all cameras (inside and out), and all the supporting hardware before listing.

My intent is to leave the cat5/6 cables and patch/paint all stucco and drywall. That way I can list it as "pre-wired for IP cameras" or something to that effect. However, I have about 15 holes of various sizes that I've cut into the aluminum vented soffit. Some are small (maybe 1/2") but others, where I had a hard time accessing the cable ends, are up to 1" in diameter.

I considered simply replacing that section of soffit, but the planets would have to align just right to find matching material and paint color. However, short of leaving holes at all those locations, I don't know what else to do.

Anyone faced this issue before? Do they make caps/plugs that I can push in after cleaning up the holes?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think I may have answered my own request for help... Amazon to the rescue...
They may have those smaller than 2" diameter, since you stated your holes are up to 1" in diameter, I believe.

Or you may consider this type, available in a wide range of sizes to snap into holes in sheet metal. If loose, just use some clear, outdoor-rated silicone sealant to secure. Cheap, too.. a bag of 25 under $4 ==>> here.

DmaxDually

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just curious, did the realtor give you a reason why they think you should remove the cameras? If it is a decent system and it is still working I think it would be a good selling point like having an alarm system.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious, did the realtor give you a reason why they think you should remove the cameras? If it is a decent system and it is still working I think it would be a good selling point like having an alarm system.
I'm not the OP, but I'll bet $5 it's because of a misguided assumption on the realtor's part. And I'll bet it went something like this:

"Oh, is the crime so bad in your neighborhood that you feel you must have security cameras? You MUST take those down....we mustn't convey that message if you want to get top dollar and not remain on the market for a lengthy period".

If so, my response would have been something like this:

"No, it's because it's a very nice house in an equally nice neighborhood and on occasions, some not-so-nice people come in from not-so-nice neighborhoods outside this area because there's no shit to steal in their area and they try to steal MY shit." :cool:

Last edited:

DmaxDually

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Exactly...When people tell me "Oh I don't have to worry I live in a nice area". My reply is " Where do you think thieves go to steal nice stuff? After they think about it for a second I see the light bulb come on and their next reply is "You're right I never thought of that before".

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It's being done to make the house as vanilla as possible. The realtor - who is only 26 and quite in-tune with all the latest tech - said the odds of finding a prospect who is able to appreciate the system, never mind handle the complexity of an ip/computer based surveillance system is relatively slim. Since we're trying to market to the widest possible audience, anything that is personalized/customized has a tendency to have a negative influence on marketability. Trust me, as I'm snipping the ends off of my cables and pushing them up into the attic, it tears me up.

Murphy's law will all but guarantee the buyer will be someone like me, who would have killed to have a functional, updated surveillance system. But if I want to sell quickly and appeal to the widest range of prospects, I have to remove them.

Ultimately, I left all the cabling, and simply tucked the wire up into the attic space. Those with holes large enough, are being left completely intact. Those coming through drywall, get the ends snipped, then pushed up. I'm patching/painting, and then leaving a same-color thumbtack in the spot where the cable drop was. This way, I can market the house as "pre-wired" for network cameras.

The spot where all the cat5 cables drop will be closed in and painted, but I'll leave a note on the wall to let the future owners know that they're still there. A look in the attic would reveal it as well.

I'm not the OP, but I'll bet $5 it's because of a misguided assumption on the realtor's part. And I'll bet it went something like this:

"Oh, is the crime so bad in your neighborhood that you feel you must have security cameras? You MUST take those down....we mustn't convey that message if you want to get top dollar and not remain on the market for a lengthy period".

If so, my response would have been something like this:

"No, it's because it's a very nice house in an equally nice neighborhood and on occasions, some not-so-nice people come in from not-so-nice neighborhoods outside this area because there's no shit to steal in their area and they try to steal MY shit." :cool:
Nah, Realtor never said anything about crime.