Suggestions on ethernet cable

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I just did my first cable today. Ran about 50' of Cat6 cable with 23 gauge solid copper wire. I use the Klien pull through RJ45 plugs and the Klien pull through tool made for them. Bought them at the local Home Depot. I just took my time and it worked out well. No goof ups put I did catch a couple of errors where I had to reinstall the wires again before I clamped it all together. By the way I took off about 2" of the insulation to make installing the wires into the plugs easier for me.

Last edited:

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
By the way I took off about 2" of the insulation to make installing the wires into the plugs easier for me.
Generically speaking: with Cat6 you want to have your terminations close and not to untwist/unsheathe any more than you absolutely have to once it's punched down or crimped.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't really want to chance making my own cables, (I only need a couple cables < 100'), so could anyone recommend quality places to buy pre-terminated cables? Solid copper sounds like the recommendation. Is CAT6 really needed or would CAT5E be sufficient for 2MP cameras?

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't really want to chance making my own cables, (I only need a couple cables < 100'), so could anyone recommend quality places to buy pre-terminated cables? Solid copper sounds like the recommendation. Is CAT6 really needed or would CAT5E be sufficient for 2MP cameras?
This.
I don’t get it, people always ask this question over and over you have 2 options for cable, monoprice or cables matter. cat 5 or cat 6 for security cameras, it really makes no difference. But if you want the better cable for the hell of it, get cat 6. Plain and simple!!!
Monoprice or Cables Matter have a good rep and some are available on Amazon. Pre-terminated will be harder to run in walls, etc. if that matters. Yes, solid copper, not CCA as @looney2ns posted, especially for in-wall installation. Stranded copper is more flexible and generally used for patch cords from the wall jacks to your device.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks I'm going with the Cable Matters CAT6. I'm sure BJC is good, (and made in USA) but not worth that much difference for me.

Cable Matters 150'
CAT6 - $28
CAT6a (Shielded) $38

BlueJeans 150'
CAT5e - $77
CAT6 - $109
CAT6a - $172

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a question on solid vs stranded, which is better for making a 90 degree turn through conduit? I'm guessing solid will be fine. Maybe after two 90 degree turns, one should use stranded?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question on solid vs stranded, which is better for making a 90 degree turn through conduit? I'm guessing solid will be fine. Maybe after two 90 degree turns, one should use stranded?
Around two 90's even stranded can be difficult as well.
That being said, if it were me, I'd use solid and install a *Condulet in place of at least one of the 90's near the longest pull. Can be had in PVC or metallic.

* LB., LR, LL, LT depending on exit/turn.

condulet_types.jpg