Suggestions on what type of camera is required.

Reaction score
Hi there new to the forums and making my first post.

Im looking for a suitable poe camera or wifi camera, or even better a wireless camera which will take a sim card and stream direct to youtube.

Narrative, one of our clients has a narrow boat which he sails on canals in the UK. We are youtube streamers doing all kind of live streams, but this client want's us to manage a livestream on his behalf. Currently he has a wireless cam connected to a sim router (Vodafone) and he can view the camera via an app but the camera runs from local host 192.168.1.100 port 554 and we are the other side of the country. His cam does have rtsp capabilities but the streaming software we use (OBS Studio) needs to come from an ipcam, and the only way it can be done currently is by having the software running locally on the local host ip which can't be done. We was able to download a pc version of the app the camera uses, and login using the cloud, but to get the camera into our broadcasting software requires us to use screen capture, which degrades the quality of the camera.

The client is prepared to purchase a new camera, but is on a tight budget, so im wondering if someone would be able to give us an idea on what type of camera we would need, for me to be able to use the rtsp of the camera which won't be local host. Also to reduce the amount of hardware the camera could accept a sim card, and or a sim card which has built in software which will stream to YouTube direct.

There are plenty of options out there, as we have seen them being used in remote areas, especially wildlife cams which can be 30 foot up a tree overlooking an eagles nest for example.

Either the type of camera, or brands / models of suitable cameras would be gratefully appreciated. (Links to amazon per say)

Thank you very much in advance for allowing me to join, and i look forward to engaging with you in the forums.

Best wishes.

Gary on behalf of the global video company

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Your client needs to set up a VPN connection that would allow you to securely log into his system to capture the camera feeds as if you were on the local network, while not exposing his cameras/network to the entire world or relying on cloud solutions to work. I'd also suggest that your client set up VLANs on his network so the camera(s) would be completely isolated from the rest of the network and then set up the VPN connection you would use to only allow access to the camera VLAN. This means that while you would have full access to the camera, you wouldn't be able to access anything else on the network. (Of course it would be trivial to also set up a second VPN connection that would give the clients to access their entire network while they are off the boat too).

This is all pretty basic IT stuff, so setting it up yourself (with a little research) or finding someone to set it up for the client shouldn't be too hard. Of course depending on the networking gear the client has, it may require some new gear to work correctly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your client needs to set up a VPN connection that would allow you to securely log into his system to capture the camera feeds as if you were on the local network, while not exposing his cameras/network to the entire world or relying on cloud solutions to work. I'd also suggest that your client set up VLANs on his network so the camera(s) would be completely isolated from the rest of the network and then set up the VPN connection you would use to only allow access to the camera VLAN. This means that while you would have full access to the camera, you wouldn't be able to access anything else on the network. (Of course it would be trivial to also set up a second VPN connection that would give the clients to access their entire network while they are off the boat too).

This is all pretty basic IT stuff, so setting it up yourself (with a little research) or finding someone to set it up for the client shouldn't be too hard. Of course depending on the networking gear the client has, it may require some new gear to work correctly.
Cheers for that reply, will take a look into thank you.

Gary