Suicide Button

T@ter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Very new to using the HIK cams.
Straight up question is: Does the complete reset option in the web interface lock you out of your camera, making the XML submission necessary?

I was incredulously told this by my dealer. I really can't see this being correct but as I said, new to HIK and he maintained the same thing had happened to him.

I have never had an issue adding HIK cams that were fresh out of the box to an HIK NVR. The DHCP loads em up till you run out of POE ports and away you go. I had never tried to add a camera that had previously been in use.
These 2 cams ( a turret and a mini PTZ) had been attached variously to the IVMS software, to a QNAP NAS etc. while I was first checking these units out. I never had an issue logging into the cameras. I always use the same pw here at the shop, regardless of brand. I could not get the NVR to recognize these cams in any way. Always had incorrect username/password or network unreachable message. Whether configured manually with an IP from the DHCP pool or set to PnP the NVR kicked back the error(s). I would remove the cams from the NVR and fire em up on the LAN and log in with the password no problem. In exasperation I decided to log in on the web interface and chose full reset option. The other option would have retained the IP and User config so I figured it wouldn't have helped my issue and we would go for full factory. I should have used IVMS I guess.
This is the SUICIDE button referenced in the title of the post. I have been informed by my dealer that this reset option effectively locks the camera as if you had forgotten the password. What? That just cannot be true. There is no documentation to this effect and no one else in the entire IP cam world complaining about this issue. What would be the point of such a button..lol. I mean....lol. Anyone offer some informed feedback for ol Tater? I have submitted said XML files.

Thanks

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What your dealer told you is not true. A factory reset does not lock up the camera. It just puts everything back to the defaults.

A lot depends on the firmware version of your NVR and your camera. However, here's a suggestion:
  1. Attach the camera to LAN.
  2. Log in and do a factory reset, but do not assign a password. NOTE: You may have to use the reset button if you can't see it on your LAN.
  3. Disconnect the camera and connect it to one of the NVR POE's.
  4. The NVR should detect it, assign the NVR's password to the camera, an bring it on-line.
or
  1. Attach the camera to the LAN.
  2. Login and do a factory reset. NOTE: You may have to use the reset button if you can't see it on your LAN.
  3. Assign the NVR's password to the camera.
  4. Disconnect the camera and connect it to one of the NVR POE's.
  5. The NVR should detect it and bring it on-line.

T@ter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Grasshopper,

After the complete reset referenced in the web interface, I can no longer log into the cameras. Both fail the password. I have only ever used one password as I said, but I tried 12345 for giggles since it was supposed to be reset. Keep in mind this option in the web interface was not called factory reset but complete reset. I assumed they were the same. Both cameras defaulted to 192.168.1.64 after the reset. So I have both cameras that I was able to log into prior to the complete reset refusing me entry afterwards. So I sent the password recovery xml files to the dealer but I'm a little concerned about my first experience adding a previously used HIK camera to the NVR. I have clients that have single cameras setup in IVMS that are interested in expanding and I have been unable to document even the simplest of procedures for the field. Adding a HIK to a HIK shouldn't be this convoluted. I have had no problem manually adding existing axis units to the HIK NVR (Took a couple of minutes) and as I said, out of the box HIK units have worked automatically, by the dozens. I mulled over this little jewel for hours culminating in the lockout after doing a complete reset. Both cameras have too recent a version of firmware for the "do it yourself" reset. So I wait for weeks, get the unlock key and I still have cameras that have been previously passworded and may not be recognized by the NVR. You see my concern. I have seen glitchy softkeypad behaviour in earlier firmwares. Maybe I fell prey to a password typed incorrectly....twice. I just don't know what happened. My dealer's "camera guy"'s answer seemed unreal but he says it happened to him and I am facing the reality of 2 supposedly reset cameras that I cannot get into.

Thanks,

Tater

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sadp tool is the best practice for adding cameras. You can find documentation on the website or there are plenty of posts on this forum.

T@ter

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup agreed, great tool. It was also refusing passwords and giving device rejected errors prior to resetting the cameras. So I was able to log into the web interface and reset the cameras with the same password rejected by SADP and the NVR. Now sadly no access at all.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI - I have never seen the "Complete Reset" option. Non of my HIK cameras have that option. My cameras are DS-2CD2042WD-I and DS-2CD2732F-I. They only have "Restore" and "Factory Reset" when using the web interface.

For "Restore" it says "Reset all the parameters, except the IP parameters and user information, to the default settings."

For "Factory Reset" it says "Restore all parameters to default settings."

This doesn't help, but I thought I'd let you know.

T@ter

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes that is the exact choices I had but I honestly didn't remember seeing the word factory, my apologies for any confusion. Maybe they are using a different default password after a reset? I only tried 12345 (other than my password) at the web login and SADP. The models are DS-2CD2342WD-I and a DS-2DE2103-DE3/W. Immediately after the reset, I ran SADP as administrator and any password tried failed or rejected device message. The input window did not say activate, it said modify. Meh, still baffled. Thanks for the exact wording in the web interface. Have you ever done a reset in the web interface? How did you proceed afterward?

Thanks again

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I've done a factory reset from the web interface plenty of times. Here's some more info for you:

Before I upgraded my DS-2CD2732F-I cameras the default password was 12345. After upgrading to v5.3.0 build 151016, I would have to assign a password of my choosing because HIK got rid of default passwords. The IP would be set to 192.168.1.64 w/DHCP enabled.

My DS-2CD2042WD-I cameras came with V5.4.3 build 160903. There was no default password and you had to assign a password of your choosing to activate it. Again, the IP would be set to 192.168.1.64 w/DHCP enabled.

Each factory reset made you assign a password of your choosing to activate it.

If I factory reset when connected to my LAN, I would unplug it before assigning a password and plug it into the NVR POE. The NVR would detect the camera and assign the NVR's admin password automatically using Plug-n-Play. If I assigned the password of the cameras outside of the NVR and it didn't match the NVR's password, I would constantly get the username/password error. Also, DHCP had to be enabled otherwise it would complain about the network not being reachable (i.e., the LAN IP address of 192.168.1.64).

The bottom line is the NVR password and the camera password must match with DHCP enabled. Once connected to the NVR the camera gets assigned the NVR's NIC IP address and DHCP disabled.

One additional tidbit. I have a HIK DS-2CD2635F-IS/ZJ that I was playing with and its default password was "1234567a" ... an unusual deviation from HIK's old password standard. The only thing I can think of is that the camera is a grey-market Chinese version converted to English.

Last edited:

T@ter

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Keyboard,

Sweet Jeebus I think yer onto something! The PNP. The lack of activation prompt! Its looking for the NVR password ! Stay tuned. Gotta pop out to the shop.

An option! I'm so excited :)

Tater

T@ter

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh my! You are the man!
I never once had tried the NVR pass because I never grasped what exactly was happening during PNP on the NVR.
I didn't try the mini PTZ yet but the EXIR totally responded in SADP to the NVR password. The much missed green window of approval. So I should just make sure they are set to DHCP in the SADP tool and they will grab one of the 4 192.168.254.x IPs from the NVR when added with the NVR password?
Dude I totally appreciate you taking the time to sort through my bad explanation of what I had done and to explain the PNP/DHCP/password relationship. I have less of a gap now.
I was dreading waiting for the XML reset file. Also read here that its time sensitive and is necessary to keep the cams running while you wait for the key! What?!!! I had already powered em down after sending the key, so I would have to do it again after the weekend :). I know....I need to do a lot more reading here. What a friggin awesome forum this is btw.
I think my dealer's "camera guy" should have talked to you first :)

Thanks again Keyboard, you made my weekend at least!

Tater

T@ter

n3wb
Reaction score
The cape is justified! Seriously man thanks for explaining what happens now with the activation. I always feel better about what I'm doing without the gaps. I enjoyed our exchange as well :)

Tater