sun/rain shield (Dahua and HIK products)

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Fans,
has anyone used one of these sun/rain shield on their cams? would you recommend? Or, has anyone done a total DIY solution using some products from hardware store?

This weekend, I was doing some testing and dry run for cam locations. Listening to advice here, ideal spot is right above the wood frame of a two car garage roll up door, at both end edges. That area is significant lower from the eave so I anticipate rain and possible sun flare concerns.

This shield will be for the famous 2MP starlight turret. The way I understand its install, I would need to install the turret to a junction box, then Dahua's shield gets attached to that junction box.

Dahua TechnologyPFA200W Sun/Rain Shield for Select Dome Cameras & Junction Boxes

dahua_rainshield1.jpg

I also found a similar item by HIKvision ($21 at BHPhoto. The price is reasonable enough to get one as a trial, just to play with it

HikvisionSRS Series Anti-Corrosive Wall Mounting Bracket (White)
hikshield.jpg

Last edited:

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes they're good, stops the rain on vandal proof cameras which tend to be affected by rain droplets on their cover

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like they could handle a turret cam also. Good idea for an open mounting location. Anyone try these on the Dahua turret?

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like they could handle a turret cam also. Good idea for an open mounting location. Anyone try these on the Dahua turret?
that's what I have and was considering for that...but...after seeing another thread by bigredfish, he's got a video from a cam that was in a hurricane. If it can survive those elements, I don't see a need to add something like this :p

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
that's what I have and was considering for that...but...after seeing another thread by bigredfish, he's got a video from a cam that was in a hurricane. If it can survive those elements, I don't see a need to add something like this :p
The question "is" how well built & manufactured is your particular camera? What I mean, even though they all go through a production line, they are assembled by hand. Things change day to day on the line (people). If you get a less reliable cam, then something like this will help. We are talking about high grade produced chinese products aren't we? ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The question "is" how well built & manufactured is your particular camera? What I mean, even though they all go through a production line, they are assembled by hand. Things change day to day on the line (people). If you get a less reliable cam, then something like this will help. We are talking about high grade produced chinese products aren't we? ?
Its foolish to put one of these silly contraptions to cover cameras just in case there is a production issue in one - it is an extremely rare occurrence. This cap would not work on a bullet, yet they seem to survive the elements without this nonsense.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a typical rainy season in Florida off to a good start this past Sunday

Gets interesting at about 1:15. Ripped the roof off a home one street over. Most are trailers obviously, Mom's and 3 of her neighbors have the few choice canal front lots and are more "manufactured homes". A fine line difference to be sure, but much better construction and bigger with million dollar views. ...Ok 1/2 million, still way better than mine ;)

(dont forget tochange youtube player to 1080p)

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a typical rainy season in Florida off to a good start this past Sunday

Gets interesting at about 1:15. Ripped the roof off a home one street over. Most are trailers obviously, Mom's and 3 of her neighbors have the few choice canal front lots and are more "manufactured homes". A fine line difference to be sure, but much better construction and bigger with million dollar views. ...Ok 1/2 million, still way better than mine ;)

(dont forget tochange youtube player to 1080p)
Did u use the rain shield while recording this?

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
do the water doesn't touch the dome?

I mean I have a dome version and wonder if the raining water will affect the visibility of camera. and what if it dries out, water spot? thanks!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes the water touches the lens , but mine is a bullet. They don’t have too much problem with rain. Domes tend to have more problems with rain spots on the lens

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks, I think in this case you would advice me to buy a rain cover right?