SUNBA PoE+ PTZ Camera Outdoor, 36X Optical Zoom 5MP

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You probably need more zoom than the 49225 offers, but here are two shots at full zoom of ole glory 900 feet away riding the 20MPH wind gusts (it also has a digital zoom that goes even tighter but then BI wonks out because the substream disappears when the camera goes to digital zoom):

Ole Glory.jpg

ole glory night.jpg

Last edited:

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would like a picture of your final mount when you’re done please. I got a 4” diameter steel pole 21’8” long and am trying to come up with what would be the best looking mount.
OK, I will post a pic of it for you later. I finished cleaning, then used acetone on the surface, and gave two coats of primer and two coats of paint. installed a heavy-duty 5-foot metal pipe on the inside using self-tap screws. Today I will be installing the mount, using a post hole digger and making a 4 ft hole, then using my tractor to lift and install the 10-inch pipe using my forks with a strap, it may get a few scratches on the pipe? but will paint over them if I get any. the camera will be already mounted and the cabling hooked up and on the inside of the pipe with a cut out where the pipe meets the ground.

I was told that with the pipe being 3/4 inch thick that I should not get any movement when windy? Time will tell. The pole I had it mounted to had movement which created too much wobbling when zoomed in.

I also just found out that this camera besides having a 36x optical zoom, also has a 528x digital zoom, I started playing with it and I love the video results for what I need it for. actually, I'm blown away by the 36x zoom, and now the 528x is unreal.

anyways, I'm hoping that this pole is an overkill and will eliminate any movement.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You probably need more zoom than the 49225 offers, but here are two shots at full zoom of ole glory 900 feet away riding the 20MPH wind gusts (it also has a digital zoom that goes even tighter but then BI wonks out because the substream disappears when the camera goes to digital zoom):

View attachment 126162

View attachment 126163
Thanks, it looks nice, and you are right for my surveillance need I was looking for 36 - 40 and just found out that this camera has a 528x digital zoom, I started playing with it and I love the video results for what I need it for. actually, I'm blown away by the 36x zoom, and now the 528x is unreal.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would like a picture of your final mount when you’re done please. I got a 4” diameter steel pole 21’8” long and am trying to come up with what would be the best looking mount.
Ok, so I installed the pole today and took some pics for you.
I dug down 4 feet with a post-hole digger. lifted it up with the tractor and placed it into the hole, filled the hole with dirt, it still needs to settle in and get packed.

20220428_120131.jpg

20220428_120140.jpg

20220428_120214.jpg

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you thought about a "Lightning Catcher" mounted to the big steel pole and arresters for the RJ45?

Something like an old CB antenna etc. Remove the Corona Ball from the top and bolt to the big pipe,
so the top of the antenna is above the PTZ and not TOUCHING..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool! Fingers crossed that provides you with more stability.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cool! Fingers crossed that provides you with more stability.
Thanks, right now we have wind gusts up to 25 and it is a lot more stable than my other pipe was. I still need to water in the dirt and pack it. you can see that it is moving slightly when zoomed in at 36x. I'm thinking when it is packed and less windy it will be a lot better than before.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you thought about a "Lightning Catcher" mounted to the big steel pole and arresters for the RJ45?

Something like an old CB antenna etc. Remove the Corona Ball from the top and bolt to the big pipe,
so the top of the antenna is above the PTZ and not TOUCHING..
Thanks, it is a PVC culvert pipe that is 3/4 inch thick.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score

Justin Blackburn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. I was surprised to see that their wasn’t a junction box between the pole mount and the camera. I have a 49225 that I want to mount to my pole but looking at the parts, I think I need a junction box to enclose all the connections. Maybe I don’t after all. Are your connections tucked up in the camera arm?

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. I was surprised to see that their wasn’t a junction box between the pole mount and the camera. I have a 49225 that I want to mount to my pole but looking at the parts, I think I need a junction box to enclose all the connections. Maybe I don’t after all. Are your connections tucked up in the camera arm?
I decided to not install a junction box on this pole so that I would have less wind drag. the problem that I was having was I live near the ocean and it gets pretty windy here. I was getting swaying and video wobbling. hoping that this large and thick pipe helps. I still see some movement on the videos, but being that today we have gusts of 25 mph I see a big improvement. and my editing software will remove the slight wobble.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is one of my Junction boxes.

1651185214473.png

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I still need to get some wire Cord Protector Electric Wires Covers to protect the wiring from the Sun. I just wanted to make sure the poles and everything is working how I expect it should first.

Reaction score
I hope I'm allowed to talk about other cameras? if not let me know. Thanks

After having some of my Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E and PTZ fail. and after receiving a scratched Dahua camera and scratched lens that was replaced by Andy. and now in short supply. I need replacements.

I started searching for some other low-light IR cameras.
I live on acreage and my cameras listed above did OK but I never did like the resolution.

So I started searching and reading reviews.

I came upon the below camera and decided to pull the trigger.

SUNBA PoE+ PTZ Camera Outdoor, 36X Optical Zoom 5MP Dome Security Camera, Long Range Infrared Night Vision up to 1500ft (P636 V2, Performance Series)
I ordered it off of Amazon direct from the manufacturer
received the camera and updated the firmware, (all went flawlessly)

The resolution is outstanding and the IR blow me away.

I zoomed in 36X time at night and the IR kicked too high and I can see everything as if it was day and the focus is perfect even at night

I did not know that there were any cameras out there that can see out over 1500 feet at night perfectly.
the house up the road and across the lake is over 1500 feet and I can see it perfected day and at night, zoomed in 36x right up to the doors.
Wow, I'm blown away by this camera.

I just ordered a second one and waiting for it to arrive. I am also ordering four more of their smaller ones for each corner of my house.

The only thing that I'm trying to correct is that I have it mounted on an 18 ft metal pole with three guide wires and I am getting wobbling in high winds. I ordered a better pole mount bracket that should be here this weekend.

does anyone have experience with PTZ on poles? if so how did you mount yours and is there any wind wobble?

Anyways I'm excited about this camera and thought I would share my thoughts.

Thanks

View attachment 125814
The key to having good all around images day and night is the sensor which is the 1/2.8″ Sony Starvis Sensor in your camera. Sony CMOS sensors are the best in the industry. I design physical security systems for government entities so I've seen a lot of commercial grade TPZ cameras out there including those with thermal imaging cameras. What you have is probably the best camera for the price.
As for the shaking, yes you will definitely encounter this problem. The ones we typically use have imaging stabilizers so they help mitigate the problem but they don't solve it entirely. Some of ones we've used at windy places like at airports, mountains, and beaches have to be mounted on poles able to withstand the wind prevalent for the area. So at the airport we put in special poles that cost anywhere from $10-$15 dollars plus the cost to install them. So your solution is really to stabilize the pole however you can do that like guy wires or something like that.
Good luck.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The key to having good all around images day and night is the sensor which is the 1/2.8″ Sony Starvis Sensor in your camera. Sony CMOS sensors are the best in the industry. I design physical security systems for government entities so I've seen a lot of commercial grade TPZ cameras out there including those with thermal imaging cameras. What you have is probably the best camera for the price.
So in your expert opinion, a 5MP on the 1/2.8" is better at night than a 2MP on the same size sensor?

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As for the shaking, yes you will definitely encounter this problem. The ones we typically use have imaging stabilizers so they help mitigate the problem but they don't solve it entirely. Some of ones we've used at windy places like at airports, mountains, and beaches have to be mounted on poles able to withstand the wind prevalent for the area. So at the airport we put in special poles that cost anywhere from $10-$15 dollars plus the cost to install them. So your solution is really to stabilize the pole however you can do that like guy wires or something like that.
Good luck.
Thanks for your reply.
I had Gy wires on my skinny pipe pole, now installed this 10 inch, and may try them. I may also fill the pipe. I may also install some pipe tripod bracing. not sure as of yet.
however, with that said. it is a minimum movement now, and my editing software gets it out with a stabilization option.
I have to edit the 24 hr footage anyways so no big deal.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So in your expert opinion, a 5MP on the 1/2.8" is better at night than a 2MP on the same size sensor?
This video is about how it looks at night zoomed in.
however, my surveillance is daytime. and it has a great optical zoom and digital zoom. I'm getting all the surveillance footage that I need.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think that is what he is saying.
He said "The key to having good all around images day and night is the sensor which is the 1/2.8″ Sony Starvis Sensor in your camera. What you have is probably the best camera for the price."

Many of us question if 5MP on the sensor designed for 2MP is the best camera for the price for good images day and night, or is a 2MP on the same sensor a better camera at night (and at a cheaper price). And a sensor is only part of the equation as many crap cameras unfortunately are fitted with this sensor but suck at night due to firmware.

We get you do not need night time performance, and that is fine, but for someone coming to this thread 6 months from now and needs nighttime performance, there are probably better options out there.

The Sunba video you posted is about as ideal as you can get - white/bright signs not moving and people not moving. But when they were moving, there was lots of ghosting/blurring and based on that it would be hard pressed to recommend it for someone needing nighttime performance.

Keep in mind that sensors are only part of the equation and the algorithms in the firmware is just as important. Many cheap cameras unfortunately use this Sony Sensor, but then it fails to live up to expectations due to their firmware.

For example, many Reolinks are on the Starvis sensor as well, but they have firmware that favors a bright static image over all else, and then you get crap motion at night.

What Reolink makes up in for static image quality (and the static image is what almost every NOOB gets fascinated with), they lack when it comes to motion at night...

What you mean a missing hand isn't normal LOL :lmao:

1643481441182.png

How about missing everything but the head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL (hint - the person is literally in the middle of the image at the end of the fence)

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1643488485807.png

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1642215852060.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

A great sensor with poor firmware = poor images.

Last edited: