Sunday Attic Party -- Loving Life

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just wanted to take a moments break to share with everyone how much fun I’m having working in the attic. I'm running some of the Cat5e for the system that UPS will be delivering tomorrow as my Christmas present/project.

Nails in the skull and back are my favorite! :rolleyes-new: Don't you guys agree?

Ok... back to work!

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was installing some recessed lighting boxes awhile back in the attic and I was right at the edge of the frame. It was so low and I don't know how many times I poked my brain with nails. A good bit of blood and headache after that.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...It was so low and I don't know how many times I poked my brain with nails. A good bit of blood and headache after that.
AlphaX wears that black helmet bro...and the respirator helps with all of the insulation particles in the air.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Prewiring before the cams show up will make life easier and allow you to start playing quicker! I've got a large order shipping tomorrow that should arrive Tuesday :) Hope family wants personal security systems installed for Christmas presents this year... Cause thats what there getting!

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was installing some recessed lighting boxes awhile back in the attic and I was right at the edge of the frame. It was so low and I don't know how many times I poked my brain with nails. A good bit of blood and headache after that.
No joke.. two bloody head shots and a right elbow so far. Ho Ho Ho!

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AlphaX wears that black helmet bro...and the respirator helps with all of the insulation particles in the air.
HAHA! Respirator was on, helmet didn't allow clearance for these tight corners of the attic.. only protection was the tyvek suit... the nails prevailed.

Rowdy Nails = 3
Alphax = -3

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Prewiring before the cams show up will make life easier and allow you to start playing quicker! I've got a large order shipping tomorrow that should arrive Tuesday :) Hope family wants personal security systems installed for Christmas presents this year... Cause thats what there getting!
Yeah, I was trying to avoid spending 16hours in the attic since once I start a project I rarely quit until it's done. Since the NVR and Cams won't be here until tomorrow I was forced to take a break. I ran a "master" line (80lb fishing line) from the NVR loc to each corner then radio'd the Wife(we have Walkie Talkies for camping etc.) to mark the line and tag it with the run #. Then I'd move on to the next. Tonight/tomorrow I'm taking that "master" line and pulling the cat5e out of the box to each run length, cutting, then adding the RJ45 plug to one end to avoid adding the plug while up 20ft in the air. It'll be a larger hole in the soffit but I thought that may be the easiest way... we'll see. Ideas are welcome.

Looks like we're both blessing our families with additional camera angels for Christmas.. love it!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Alphax - the larger hole in the soffit isn't a bad thing if you are flush mounting the cams and not using a junction mounting box. Reason being is you'll want to use the weather connectors that are included and house the rj45 connection inside to protect them. Use them even if your placing connections in walls or the attic, its just another layer of protection to the connection point. Anyways these are 1/2" - 3/4" so the larger hole will allow them to pass back through and up into the soffit.

Enjoy!

Yeah, I was trying to avoid spending 16hours in the attic since once I start a project I rarely quit until it's done. Since the NVR and Cams won't be here until tomorrow I was forced to take a break. I ran a "master" line (80lb fishing line) from the NVR loc to each corner then radio'd the Wife(we have Walkie Talkies for camping etc.) to mark the line and tag it with the run #. Then I'd move on to the next. Tonight/tomorrow I'm taking that "master" line and pulling the cat5e out of the box to each run length, cutting, then adding the RJ45 plug to one end to avoid adding the plug while up 20ft in the air. It'll be a larger hole in the soffit but I thought that may be the easiest way... we'll see. Ideas are welcome.

Looks like we're both blessing our families with additional camera angels for Christmas.. love it!

Last edited by a moderator:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your using junction boxes you can put the box of wire where your nvr is, pull the wire outsidr to the ground put connector on then pull it back through to remove the slack.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have fun in tbe attic 8 used fish sticks or fish steel tape and ran it close to center of attic so I could get it

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep I use glow rods for my pulls. You can go expensive with Greenlee type or cheap with harbor freight brand. For me, harbor freight brand works and is cheap enough for me to replace at anytime.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I keep breaking the metal connecting piece on my harbor freight sticks. I probably need to get a good highly flexible single 9 foot piece If I can find one

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lowes or HD carry rods. I also have accounts with ADI and SES.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep I use glow rods for my pulls. You can go expensive with Greenlee type or cheap with harbor freight brand. For me, harbor freight brand works and is cheap enough for me to replace at anytime.
I used to sell these for $80 a set. Total bummer when you drop one in a wall cavity. Harbor Freights are $10-15. Get's the job done and doesn't ruin your day when you lose a couple or leave them behind.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I stick with Harbor Freight brand.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's when I break out my sledge hammer or drywall knife and go on a rescue mission.
haha, jk, depending what it is I dropped behind, sentimental or really expensive, I would go in and get it

I used to sell these for $80 a set. Total bummer when you drop one in a wall cavity. Harbor Freights are $10-15. Get's the job done and doesn't ruin your day when you lose a couple or leave them behind.