Surveillance Camera solutions?

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys, in the planning stages of installing a video surveillance camera system on a large 2.5-acre property, which includes the main farm house, semi-detached 4 car garage with loft (connected to the main house by a covered walkway), and a small outbuilding that contains a whole house generator (about 35 yards away from the main house).

8 cameras at the main farm house, 5 for the garages and 3 on the generator house.

Option one is direct lines to base system in main house, time-consuming and $$$$

Option two is a point to point WIFI (maybe Ubiquiti) connections between the base station at main house to the network POE switch at garage and network POE switch at generator house.

Option three, three independent NVRs at each location and connected together with a point to point WIFI (maybe Ubiquiti) network.

Any input would help.

Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ubiquiti links between the buildings should perform great. They will work best with clear line-of-sight (no trees or vehicles between them). No need for an NVR in each building, as you'll have enough bandwidth to feed everything to one big NVR. If it was me I'd probably run a simple multimode fiber optic cable between the house and the garage, since that would eliminate one extremely short wireless bridge and keep the airwaves a little clearer for in-home wifi.

Whichever Ubiquiti links you do install, it sounds like they will work fine with minimum output power using any of their radios. I'd probably choose a newer 5AC radio rather than an older NanoStation Loco M5, just because they might be a little more efficient and allow you to operate with a smaller channel width.

Last edited:

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There must be another stumbling block besides distance if the farthest separation is only 35 yards. Ethernet is good for 100m (a bit over 100Y), so distance is not an issue there. If you can do it, i would run PoE GE switches in each satellite location and the main house to each camera and run a single <100m Cat6 switch to switch run back to the main house NVR from each in simple 3/4" pvc, buried a few inches. If that is not feasible, then the Ubiquity links are likely the way to go.

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, cable is an option but the run to the generator building would require trenching a manicured lawn, pushing a pipe underneath a 15 foot paver driveway and traversing a small retention pond / swale.

Thanks

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you by any chance have coax cable already run to any of the outbuildings?

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Instead of WIFI connectivity, what about Ethernet over Poweline? Yay or nay? The semi-detached garage and the main farm house are on the same circuit.