Surveillance van installl question

stevej

n3wb
Reaction score
My company is building a new surveillance van. We would like small vehicle cameras like you would find on a Tesla around the entire van for situational awareness. The vehicle may or may not have an investigator in it. We plan on installing poe cameras on each side of the van. Mostly aiming out the windows. The vehicle is a sprinter van. Above the standard tinted windows there will be untinted narrow bunk windows. They are to high up for someone to see in without a step ladder. We want to install one wide and one ptz camera on each side so we have recognizable face shots included with wide angle shots. In addition we want Tesla quality mini cameras around the outside of the vehicle, so that the investigator inside can see if anyone is near the vehicle and who they are. Mostly the vehicle will be parked longterm with no one inside. We plan on operating the cams through blue iris. Most backup and vehicle cameras are designed to work with a head unit. We just want to operate through the NVR so they are recording and we can view remotely. Can anyone recommend exterior cameras that can be recessed in the body like a backup camera? The quality needs to be pretty good but remain small and unnoticed. In searching for cameras there are many, but none seem to specify the video signal type or the connecting type and all are referenced as connecting to some proprietary head unit. Thanks for any input. Steve

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out Sensata, the most recent owner of Smart Witness. Analog cams such as this have no inherent delay like an IP cam, run on 12VDC, out put composite video and can record to a DVR. Many DVR's can stream to Blue Iris, I've done so with Night Owl, Amcrest and Zmodo.

This co. specializes in fleet vehicle surveillance. Last year a FedEx driver cam to my place and his Ford Metro van had about 6 cams on it from Smart Witness.

Last edited:

stevej

n3wb
Reaction score
Check out Sensata, the most recent owner of Smart Witness. Analog cams such as this have no inherent delay like an IP cam, run on 12VDC, out put composite video and can record to a DVR. Many DVR's can stream to Blue Iris, I've done so with Night Owl, Amcrest and Zmodo.

This co. specializes in fleet vehicle surveillance. Last year a FedEx driver cam to my place and his Ford Metro van had about 6 cams on it from Smart Witness.

Thanks Tony, I'm trying to find much smaller cameras that are significantly less noticeable. Especially ones that can be hidden. This one is like a 1/4" and can be recessed into the bumper or roof rack etc but the lense isn't compatible with nVR's
. Thanks

Attachments

stevej

n3wb
Reaction score
Im not concerned about the quality that much, the cameras cannot be noticed or arouse suspicion so concealment outways quality for those cameras. Tesla cameras do amazing well and are very small.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand wanting to be discreet but it's a fine line between that and getting no picture in which case there's no point having cameras. You might have to buy one and experiment to see if it meets your needs before kitting the whole van out.

Maybe try and find out what Tesla use if you deem them suitable for the surround cameras.

stevej

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not likely to get a picture if the subject can see the camera. Tesla cameras are pretty dam small but I can't seem to find ones that small that are compatible with an nvr

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Just search for poe spy camera. One can drill holes in the bumpers put a spy cam in the hole
as it will look like cams in almost every vehicle made.

stevej

n3wb
Reaction score
Just search for poe spy camera. One can drill holes in the bumpers put a spy cam in the hole
as it will look like cams in almost every vehicle made.
I have not been able to find one that actually has a working link and specifications. Most are water resistant rather than water proof. They don't give you any specs.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I must admit I'm curious as to why you need a spy van. Such a thing would potentially break laws in the EU / UK.

stevej

n3wb
Reaction score
We are licensed private detectives. In the US you can film in public, but you cannot record conversations. You can't use the footage for any commercial purpose such as promotions, movies etc. You can't film any kind of sex act and you can't film into a house from the outside. Many of our clients are law firms. But corporations hire us to find out who is coming and going in remote facilities, or if they suspect an employee is meeting with a competitor, stealing or doing something else that hurts the company. We sometimes work with the press when they are doing a story about crime or other assignments that are in dangerous locations. We also work for the local and federal gov. which means we need to use NDAA approved equipment for them, which makes fitting out the van a little more difficult. We have had people try to break into cars, our van etc while our investigator is inside. The investigator will call the police explain what is going on and the person will be arrested. They will leave us be until we can move off discreetly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a special use case and yeah NDAA adds a whole other wrinkle to what you are trying to accomplish.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have read somewhere before people use laptop cams or iphone cams.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
You may have to get creative and hide the cameras a different way. ?? Hear some examples links. Just throwing ideas at you is all. Was looking into something for my home awhile back and book marked my searches.

last link has a pinhole cam from Andy, but not NDAA. not sure if Uniview has something similar?

Last edited:

stevej

n3wb
Reaction score
Any camera for the protecting the vehicle could be on a non ndaa server since it is really there to protect the vehicle and anyone inside, but it still need to be well hidden. The cameras also need to be 100% wasterproof. For our NVR's there are not good enough vehicle NVR with AI and facial recognition so we use full size. But we usually unpackage and set it up upon arrival as suspension systems just don't do a could job of protecting nvr's pc's laptops in a vehicle driving down the highway. Thanks