Suspicious dude jogs through yards

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is an early morning BI motion capture at my sisters house. There has been car prowlers in her neighborhood in the past. One of my sisters friends had items stolen out of her truck while parked in front of the house.

I thought it was a little strange that this guy appears to be working on his car, then suddenly jogs through peoples yards, including my sisters yard. Not sure what he's up to but looks suspicious to me.

Captured with a ESC IPC1-V 2.0mp camera.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
very odd behavior indeed. motion blur makes him hard to ID as he flies by,
but it looks like the cam may still have been in night mode (longer exposure?) early in the day...

i got it! He's testing his dash cam. hahaha...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
could of just been looking for something to magyver his issue away.. Ive had a coolant hose blow off in an industrial park and had to walk around forever to find a spigot I could get some water from.. found lots, with the handles removed for security.. ended up limping it out of there and getting it refilled it a fast food joint before it melted down.

either that or he was really up to no good and got overwhelmed by the amount of crap in your sis's yard.. punting gnomes perhaps? I hate them too!

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
A dedicated 12mm lens pointed at the entrance to the court would probably capture a lot of license plates of vehicles entering the end of this street.

stevejay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I live at the end of a cul de sac, too. Something about a dead-end street is a magnet for every oddball passing by or wandering weirdo on foot. I see a lot of strange behavior on my cameras that you would never see on a regular thru street. Sometimes, my neighbor and I take turns parking our cars out at the curb just to block the people who want to drive up and park for days at a time, drinking and doing drugs 24/7, screaming incoherently in the middle of the night and peeing in the bushes. Even in this otherwise nice residential area, a dead-end just seems to attract this. It's one of the main reasons I got cameras in the first place. I never felt the need to have them on a regular street.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
very odd behavior indeed. motion blur makes him hard to ID as he flies by,
but it looks like the cam may still have been in night mode (longer exposure?) early in the day...
Yep, it's strange behavior from this guy. The camera hadn't switched to day mode yet so hard to ID him with the motion blur. Maybe he was just checking out what's available to take later during the night? Glad I live in the boonies. :)

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
either that or he was really up to no good and got overwhelmed by the amount of crap in your sis's yard.. punting gnomes perhaps? I hate them too!
You think my sisters yard has a lot of crap, you should see her garage. It's a double car garage with so much yard sale junk that you can hardly walk through it. Cars are parked outside. She's a yard sale, garage sale, antique's addict. :D

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A dedicated 12mm lens pointed at the entrance to the court would probably capture a lot of license plates of vehicles entering the end of this street.
My sister wanted the widest angle of coverage possible, so I set the varifocal lens to 2.8mm. You are right though, she needs another camera with a 12mm lens to catch the license plates.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a great "what's going on" camera. Well, except maybe for the blurry motion. That should have had lots of light to have a faster exposure than that. It gave a good show of what he was doing in a broad area though. It's also a good argument to have more than one camera. Say, a 6mm pointed near the end of the driveway with an extra illuminator so it can run at 1/120th with no blur, plus maybe a 12mm or longer for plates in the road. With all the cultch around, nobody would notice an extra camera or three...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
2.8mm... 6mm... 12mm... giving me headache, I would slap 10x ptz and call it a day.

Reactions: mik

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Confucius say: wise man let location choose camera, not camera choose location.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like some kind of critter running away at the end. Maybe he was chasing it and it didn't trigger the camera.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
nah. he just scared some rabbit hangin out in the bushes as he got around there.

i still think he was testing a dash-cam...

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't talk my sister into installing more cameras. She's not a IP camera addict like her Bro. :)

I could set her varifocal camera for 4, 6, 8 or 12mm but she likes the 2.8mm for the wide angle so she can see what's happening in the whole yard and driveway. The problem with that is that anyone at the end of the driveway probably wouldn't be recognizable.

I did talk her into using BI on her PC and Android phone which she really likes, even though she only has the one camera. Moving the camera further away is not an option. It's mounted on her garage. Only other option would be to mount high in a tree in her back yard. I agree that she would probably be better off with a Huisun mini PTZ but she doesn't want to spend that much on a camera and I'm not going to give her any of my Huisun's. :D They're my favorite cameras.

I didn't see any critter that he might be chasing. Maybe he was just checking out a few homes for a midnight run. Anyways I'll be monitoring my sisters camera for a while to see if he comes back.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't see any critter that he might be chasing.
Just above his head when he comes back in view on the left side. Then the critter crosses the street. Looks like a cat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After reviewing the video again, I see the critter cross the street at quite a distance from him, but he doesn't seem to notice it or be chasing it. Then he jumps in his car and just takes off.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah the cat was just freaked out and ran, smart cat..

it looks like he has something in his hand, if it was a cup then I think he was looking for a spigot.. mebe needed to clean his hands off after dicking around under the hood.. if you get gas or break fluid on your hands you dont want to touch anything inside your car with em, let alone your steering wheel.

ppl do odd things, and having car troubles when your in a hurry just throws your mental thought process off track, this seems innocent to me..

When my wife was pregnant she picked me up from the light rail station one evening after work, she told me a suspicious vehicle just freaked her out parking infront of the house, leaving and coming back several times and behaving oddly.. she said it left before she came to get me and asked I keep an eye out for a beat up old red MK3 Jetta..

as we pull up to our house, low and behold a old beatup red mk3 jetta is parked out front with blistered window tint and 2 unidentifiable passengers inside.. My fight or flight instinct is to fight so I walk right up to the car and it pulls off and goes up the street and parks a few houses down, i keep following the car on foot and it does it again.. then I turn arround, bolt for the jeep.. tell my wife to go inside and lock the door and I blitz out of the neighborhood taking an alternate route I knew I could cut em off..

I get up to the main street where I thought they should be, and I see them again parked infront of someone's house.. this time at the end of a driveway, and timing was just bad enough for them that the owner had just came up from the opposite direction and wanted in there driveway... when they pulled away I launched the jeep sideways infront of them and up onto the sidewalk, jumped out the doorless side... looked into the front window to see a tweenage girl not 100lbs sopping wet, eyes bright as fuck, white knuckles wrapped around the wheel with a middle aged man in the passenger seat.

I walk up to the passenger side, he rolls the window down and I firmly ask: what the hell is your business here? your behaving extremely suspicious!

The guy apologized, and then explained to me that this was his daughter, this was her first car, and he was teaching her how to drive a manual... our neighborhood is full of nice hills and he thought it was naturally a great place to practice the nuances of using a clutch... well now dont I feel like an ass.

We laughed it off and I blamed my wife's hormones for getting the better of the both of us.. and we went on our separate ways.

Moral of the story: Dont smoke durbans, they get you all noided out..

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering if it's the paper boy. I watched a capture at my sisters house this morning of the paper boy running through the yards and throwing newspapers on the porches. Kinda looked like the same guy. Hmmmm, but I don't see the guy in the video carrying any newspapers or am I missing something?