Swann NHD-818 4MP in blue iris

happymanny

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently bought a Swann NHD-818 4MP bullet camera from Micro Center, and I am trying to add it to blue iris, to no avail.

Does anyone know how to get this camera working? I was able to get it to work in with Reolink NVR software, but not with Blue Iris which I would prefer. It seems its designed to work with the swann NVR7400 but surely its not that proprietary right?

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Manny

Navara

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently bought a Swann NHD-818 4MP bullet camera from Micro Center, and I am trying to add it to blue iris, to no avail.

Does anyone know how to get this camera working? I was able to get it to work in with Reolink NVR software, but not with Blue Iris which I would prefer. It seems its designed to work with the swann NVR7400 but surely its not that proprietary right?

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Manny
Hi all am a newbie here so go easy ,How did you get on with the above.
i have a swan nhd 818 which i can use with reonline although for a 4meg cam pic is not great. not sure how much this matters but have 100 meg broadband and hi end pc so thought i would try blue iris however its not on their list also whats the best way to get camera ip address and url.
I know nothing LOL but am sure you guys will put me right, many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you are still within 30days, return that camera. I bought the 8camera NVR hoping to use 4 of the cameras with my home blue iris setup and the other 4 cameras and NVR at my business. After a couple of weeks trying different things and lurking through this site I realized there are better options out there plus no one here seemed to get these 818s to work on BI (search the site and you'll find a couple threads). So I returned the system. Good luck.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Manny
@happymanny, I suspect that you are out of luck.

Per SWANN, the NHD-818 only works with the NVR-7400. My best guess is that the NHD-818 is the 4MP version of the NHD-815 (which is 3MP). Based on my experience with the NHD-815 (which only works properly with SWANN's proprietary NVR-7300) the NVR-7400 is probably a proprietary system.

ReoLink will recognize these cameras because they are the same rebranded unknowns.

The builtin microphone of the NHD-818 is an attractive feature, but you'll get frustrated trying to make it work on anything other than the NVR-7400.

Like someone suggested, you should return the camera for one that will work with Blue Iris.

Navara

n3wb
Reaction score
@happymanny, I suspect that you are out of luck.

Per SWANN, the NHD-818 only works with the NVR-7400. My best guess is that the NHD-818 is the 4MP version of the NHD-815 (which is 3MP). Based on my experience with the NHD-815 (which only works properly with SWANN's proprietary NVR-7300) the NVR-7400 is probably a proprietary system.

ReoLink will recognize these cameras because they are the same rebranded unknowns.

The builtin microphone of the NHD-818 is an attractive feature, but you'll get frustrated trying to make it work on anything other than the NVR-7400.

Like someone suggested, you should return the camera for one that will work with Blue Iris.
Thank you for your replies have only just bought it so returning is no problem what would you guys recommend on par with this camera or better.

mitweiler

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Not wanting to start a new thread since there is already one here. Has anybody been able to get the Swann NHD-818 4MP camera to work on BlueIRIS some how?

Silly mean didn't do all the research first, thought id move over to BlueIRIS and add my current Swann cameras to it and also purchase additional cameras but that is not going to plan unfortunately.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Not wanting to start a new thread since there is already one here. Has anybody been able to get the Swann NHD-818 4MP camera to work on BlueIRIS some how?

Silly mean didn't do all the research first, thought id move over to BlueIRIS and add my current Swann cameras to it and also purchase additional cameras but that is not going to plan unfortunately.
Based on some past searches, obtaining a RTSP stream from many, if not most, Swann cams is a PITA...mainly because they have had more than just a couple of OEM's. They have also locked down such ability in order to mandate a cam's use with only a Swann NVR. It seems the NHD-818 is no exception to that "rule".

I have about 8 URL's you could try with VLC to see if you can get a stream if you have the urge and patience to do so, let me know if you want them and I'll reply with them. Otherwise, this image below of a post on AvForums might be your only recourse (credit to "twisteddx"):

swann_NHD818_070723.jpg

mitweiler

n3wb
Reaction score
Based on some past searches, obtaining a RTSP stream from many, if not most, Swann cams is a PITA...mainly because they have had more than just a couple of OEM's. They have also locked down such ability in order to mandate a cam's use with only a Swann NVR. It seems the NHD-818 is no exception to that "rule".

I have about 8 URL's you could try with VLC to see if you can get a stream if you have the urge and patience to do so, let me know if you want them and I'll reply with them. Otherwise, this image below of a post on AvForums might be your only recourse (credit to "twisteddx"):

View attachment 167195
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. Yes please if you can provide the URL's to try with VLC that would be great. If i can get them working that would save me having to sell and replace all 8!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. Yes please if you can provide the URL's to try with VLC that would be great. If i can get them working that would save me having to sell and replace all 8!
OK, like a big weenie I closed notepad and failed to save the text; I'll go fetch them and post back here, likely after 10PM CT tonight or after 6 AM Sat. morning.

mitweiler

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, like a big weenie I closed notepad and failed to save the text; I'll go fetch them and post back here, likely after 10PM CT tonight or after 6 AM Sat. morning.
haha all good, thank you much appreciated.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the Swann NHD-818, I'd first try these in VLC, as it's easier and quicker, IMO, than BI if you're not sure of the correct URL for RTSP.
Of course, put in your cam's user, password and IP address.
I listed the ones I felt are more likely to work in descending order, the most likely near the top.
Try each URL first with port 554 then without.
Note the URL in VLC before you try it that a previous one is not cached or that there's a syntax error.
Note that the last URL is port 1935, not 554.

LAST NOTE: Place 2 "/" after "rstp:" as the forum software won't allow 2 to be posted here consecutively.

Good luck, keep us posted! :cool:

Code:
rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/h264Preview_01_main

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/h264Preview_01_sub

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/live/h264

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/ch01/1

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/Streaming/Channels/101

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/ch0_0.h264

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/mpeg4

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:1935/cam1/onvif-h264

Last edited:

mitweiler

n3wb
Reaction score
For the Swann NHD-818, I'd first try these in VLC, as it's easier and quicker, IMO, than BI if you're not sure of the correct URL for RTSP.
Of course, put in your cam's user, password and IP address.
I listed the ones I felt are more likely to work in descending order, the most likely near the top.
Try each URL first with port 554 then without.
Note the URL in VLC before you try it that a previous one is not cached or that there's a syntax error.
Note that the last URL is port 1935, not 554.

LAST NOTE: Place 2 "/" after "rstp:" as the forum software won't allow 2 to be posted here consecutively.

Good luck, keep us posted! :cool:

Code:
rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/h264Preview_01_main

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/h264Preview_01_sub

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/live/h264

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/ch01/1

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/Streaming/Channels/101

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/ch0_0.h264

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:554/mpeg4

rtsp:/admin:admin@Camera-IP:1935/cam1/onvif-h264
Hey Tony,

No luck :(, screenshot from Notepad what i tried.

What's interesting is, I am able to download Reolink software and add my SwannNVR to see all the cameras. The "Sideway" camera which is 192.168.0.70, is the one I am trying to get to work with BlueIRIS & VLC. It is plugged into my Cisco switch>Router. I was able to see and add that to the Reolink separately. Also the Swan unit detected the 192.168.0.70 camera on the network and is displaying it as normal even thouhg its going through the cisco switch and not directly through the SwannNVR.

Through BlueIRIS when adding a camera, if i do a scan it will see the 192.168.0.70 camera in the list. It must be a weird setting to get it to display.

By the way, while attempting to get this to work with BlueIRIS yesterday, I had my SwannNVR turned off incase it was interfering with it.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming you have tried to add the cam to BI using "Find/Inspect" without success, have you tried in BI to add the cam as a Reolink RLC-410 from BI's drop-down menu?

EDIT @ 7/8 0753 CT: last resort would be to stream the cam's from the Reolink NVR to BI, one of the earlier URL's may work.

mitweiler

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming you have tried to add the cam to BI using "Find/Inspect" without success, have you tried in BI to add the cam as a Reolink RLC-410 from BI's drop-down menu?
Yup tried to add it via the Find/Inspect. I was able to see it in the list but no luck getting it to work.
I also tired all the Relinks from the drop down menu.

mitweiler

n3wb
Reaction score
EDIT @ 7/8 0753 CT: last resort would be to stream the cam's from the Reolink NVR to BI, one of the earlier URL's may work.
Hi Tony,
Do you mean stream the cam's from the Reolink Software? to the BI?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tony,
Do you mean stream the cam's from the Reolink Software? to the BI?
No, BI will stream from many NVR's, each cam will be a separate channel.
You set up a cam with the NVR's LAN IP, get the correct RTSP URL & path, make the 1st cam "Ch. 1" from the drop-down menu.
Create another cam with same IP, URL, etc. as the 1st but instead choose "Ch. 2" from the drop-down and repeat the process for the rest of the channels.

mitweiler

n3wb
Reaction score
No, BI will stream from many NVR's, each cam will be a separate channel.
You set up a cam with the NVR's LAN IP, get the correct RTSP URL & path, make the 1st cam "Ch. 1" from the drop-down menu.
Create another cam with same IP, URL, etc. as the 1st but instead choose "Ch. 2" from the drop-down and repeat the process for the rest of the channels.
Hi Tony,

For the life of my can't get the Swan NVR8-7400 to work with BlueIRIS either. This swann stuff is very annoying, I have done research an it appears nobody can get this model NVR or Camera to work on BlueIRIS.

I was however able to get access to the web interface, only by installing FireFox 52.0.1esr (an older version), see attached. Is there any way to get an RTSP feed from this?

I have also noticed in the Network Advanced tab, UPnP is an option. I'm not sure if this can help?

I also have 1 more idea. What if I can find a newer SwanNVR that will work with BlueIRIS that has an RTSP option, I should be able to then connect my current NHD-818 cameras to it and view all in BlueIRIS?

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, don't enable uPNP, that's so the NVR can set up its own port forwarding in your router, not good practice.

Have you tried a couple of NVR's that show up in the drop down menu after you select the make of "Swann"?