Swann POE camera NHD-900DE wiring diagram for cat 5 terminal

GARY2021

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a new swann security system that uses NVR-8580 and camera NHD-900DE. Does anyone know what the breakdown of the wires are in the cat 5 cable? What wires are power, video, audio? Do they use all 8 wires? I have an existing camera system installed that I ran cat 5 cable to, but used 2 wires for video ( to BNC connector) and 2 wires for power so I could use 1 cable for 2 cameras back to the DVR. I am trying to see if I can do that with the Swann system so I do not have to run additional cable.
Also the cameras have an additional power connector but the guy at Swann cannot tell me what the voltage the camera is 12 volts or 48 volts that the NVR says is the input voltage to the NVR

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a new swann security system that uses NVR-8580 and camera NHD-900DE. Does anyone know what the breakdown of the wires are in the cat 5 cable? What wires are power, video, audio? Do they use all 8 wires? I have an existing camera system installed that I ran cat 5 cable to, but used 2 wires for video ( to BNC connector) and 2 wires for power so I could use 1 cable for 2 cameras back to the DVR. I am trying to see if I can do that with the Swann system so I do not have to run additional cable.
Also the cameras have an additional power connector but the guy at Swann cannot tell me what the voltage the camera is 12 volts or 48 volts that the NVR says is the input voltage to the NVR
FYI - Swann cameras discussed

1634852852744.png

1634852902909.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I don't have a lot of faith in any product or company that does not have available any REAL specs that mention sensor size, POE spec, power connector voltage and current draw, etc. And FWIW, that's not a "dome" camera, it's a "turret" or ("eyeball" by some) style.

I especially don't like a mis-named "support" division that can't answer simple questions about their product...it inspires no confidence.

The aux power connector (not the RJ-45 for POE) is likely 12VDC, center pin positive (+) but no specs mention the current draw @ 12VDC.

GARY2021

n3wb
Reaction score
Personally I don't have a lot of faith in any product or company that does not have available any REAL specs that mention sensor size, POE spec, power connector voltage and current draw, etc. And FWIW, that's not a "dome" camera, it's a "turret" or ("eyeball" by some) style.

I especially don't like a mis-named "support" division that can't answer simple questions about their product...it inspires no confidence.

The aux power connector (not the RJ-45 for POE) is likely 12VDC, center pin positive (+) but no specs mention the current draw @ 12VDC.
Thanks, so far I am not impressed with their so called tech dept

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, so far I am not impressed with their so called tech dept
Most of us here find that whenever we call tech support of most companies, we know more about their product than the customer service rep does. Support of these types of companies consist of asking the user "did you plug in the NVR to the internet" "Is the power light on" "Did you plug the camera into the NVR" but dive much deeper than that and forget it...

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an 8580 w/ 8 cams. I do not have the model you speced. As I understood from
Swann was the plug was 12V. if not running a POE switch. I would bet it would be
standard EIA wiring standard. Otherwise, they would not be able to pull standard
parts off some assembly line. The Black and Red in the bundle are the power
with the remaining 3 pair.

GARY2021

n3wb
Reaction score
Update on my Swann NVR system. When I finally unpacked the cat 5 60' cables I discovered after using my cat 5 cable tester on it, they use 1&2 and 3&6. So I was able to run 2 cameras on one of my cat 5 cables. I split it on both ends and just put the other 4 wires in 1&2 and 3&6 when I put the ends on the cable. I finally talked to someone at Swann and was told that you can use an external 12volt 1amp power supply. I was not able to split the 4 wires to 2 for video and 2 for power. I think they send power to 3 of the wires but not sure. I have 12 of the 16 cameras hooked up for now and they work fine. It will just take a while to learn all the different options on the NVR

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update on my Swann NVR system. When I finally unpacked the cat 5 60' cables I discovered after using my cat 5 cable tester on it, they use 1&2 and 3&6. So I was able to run 2 cameras on one of my cat 5 cables. I split it on both ends and just put the other 4 wires in 1&2 and 3&6 when I put the ends on the cable. I finally talked to someone at Swann and was told that you can use an external 12volt 1amp power supply. I was not able to split the 4 wires to 2 for video and 2 for power. I think they send power to 3 of the wires but not sure. I have 12 of the 16 cameras hooked up for now and they work fine. It will just take a while to learn all the different options on the NVR
If following the 802.3af standard for POE 10/100 mode B, then those you mentioned are, in fact, the 2 data pairs which leaves the 2 power pairs, 4&5 for DC + and 7&8 for DC-.

EDIT 1820 CT: BTW, be wary that oftentimes the CAT cables furnished in Swann, Amcrest, Lorex, etc. kits can be CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum), something that can cause issues, especially with POE. You want pure copper (not CCA), solid (not stranded) cable, with a jacket rated for its uses (like "CMR" for use in walls, attics, crawl spaces and between floors).

Last edited: