Swap old ssd hard drive to new cpu?

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just bought a new (to me) i7-10700k with windows 11 pro to replace my older blue iris cpu that was having issues. The new cpu has a 256gb ssd hd in it, but I was wondering if I could just simply swap this out with my old 500gb ssd hd which I bought new a couple years ago. The old cpu was running windows 10 pro (which I would prefer to keep using if possible).

My logic is that I can retain all of my old programs, settings, etc., but as a non computer guru I could be way off base. Could it be this simple? Any feedback appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can until you can't lol.

Best case is it fires up as normal.

Worse case is it doesn't boot.

What usually happens is it kinda fires up but then you need to update drivers for the components in your computer.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I'll try it. It will save me hours of setting stuff up again. Plus I'd rather use the bigger drive.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, nevermind, I think. The PC was delivered today and it has an NVMe hdd. It's probably better to put everything on that drive, right? Due to it being faster than my sata ssd?

Attachments

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll look into that. I'm starting to think I will wipe this computer and install Windows 11 again on it. Will cloning software allow me to copy everything off my old ssd except the os, which was Win 10? Any software you recommend?

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Used Macrium Reflect Free to clone a old HD to a new SSD in a Windows 10 desktop. It copied everything over including the OS. If there are issues, then one can use the Microsoft Media Creation tool to download a new version of Window's.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've used Samsung data migration to clone an old HDD drive (OS and data) to the new Samsung SSD no problem in the past. But it's done on the same computer just replacing old hard drive with new SSD with all the setting the same.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Update:

I ended up setting the new pc up from scratch including a new install of Windows 11 pro. I left the existing drives in both computers. I imported my Blue Iris settings and everything seems to work great. I am running between 1-3 percent cpu and 2-5 percent GPU with codeproject (14 4mp cameras). No more issues, so I'm happy. The old computer will now serve as a guest cpu for basic tasks.

I did have one issue (that was eventually resolved) setting up ZeroTier on the new cpu. I posted it here if anyone is interested.