Swapping external lights for cameras?

Cooldood

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess I am going to get shot down in flames for this question, but I got to try.
A bit of a newbie to all this security camera stuff, I have a pc running Blue Iris and I ran a couple of cables down the outside of the house to put two cameras at the front of our two story house, and it was a pain.
I do have external lights all over the house, the type controlled by a light switch in the house.
Are there any cameras that I could replace the lights with, maybe with motion sensing lights of their own?
This would save running more cables outside and I could have cameras all around the house?
I guess they would have to be wireless, or use the power cable/wifi adapters maybe? I have some wifi cameras inside and have no issues streaming with them, and think I have them secure enough now.
If they had their own motion sensing lights or IR lights, that would be ideal.

Does such a device exist? Just thought I would ask before I fall off the roof running more cables and buying more POE equipment.
Thanks for any and all advice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I am going to get shot down in flames for this question, but I got to try.
A bit of a newbie to all this security camera stuff, I have a pc running Blue Iris and I ran a couple of cables down the outside of the house to put two cameras at the front of our two story house, and it was a pain.
I do have external lights all over the house, the type controlled by a light switch in the house.
Are there any cameras that I could replace the lights with, maybe with motion sensing lights of their own?
This would save running more cables outside and I could have cameras all around the house?
I guess they would have to be wireless, or use the power cable/wifi adapters maybe? I have some wifi cameras inside and have no issues streaming with them, and think I have them secure enough now.
If they had their own motion sensing lights or IR lights, that would be ideal.

Does such a device exist? Just thought I would ask before I fall off the roof running more cables and buying more POE equipment.
Thanks for any and all advice.
not any good device.
Hire a professional to run cable.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cooldood, you might do a search for Maximus lights. They replace your existing light and have a built in camera. For a 720p camera, I think it's over priced. Also if you have several matched lights, they have the same model for less without the cameras. If you are handy, they are an easy replacement. If not hire it out to a licensed electrician.

Cooldood

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought as much.
I bought another starlight off Andy, will install it once we get a break in the weather.