Switch for non-conditioned/non-insulated detached MN garage

dexter0380

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking into my first camera setup. Will most likely go with some ColorVu cams and BI, however first I need to get a network connection out to my detached garage.

The garage is about 10-15 feet from my house. I plan on digging a trench and running cable through Sch 40 or 80 PVC. I was then going to add a switch into my garage, however I've been advised that I need to take into consideration the cold winter temps and the hot summer temps of the garage. In my house I'm running a UniFi system, so I'd prefer to stick with a UniFi switch if possible. Something other than the $500 industrial 'Durable' switch would be preferred.

Does anyone have any suggestions or real life experience doing something with similar conditions?

dexter0380

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using a cheap. four port, Netgear out in an unconditioned shed with a leaky roof and the leak is close to the switch. It's been out there for over three years with no problems. Temperature range of say 0F to 110F outside temps. As with everything, YMMV.
Thanks! That gives me hope... I think I'm going to order the 8 port UniFi switch and see what happens.. only way to find out for sure.
:thumb:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As an insurance policy, of sorts, maybe look into a weather tight enclosure, but make sure it's vented on the bottom. Don't forget dielectric grease on the connectors, RJs, too.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks! That gives me hope... I think I'm going to order the 8 port UniFi switch and see what happens.. only way to find out for sure.
Ubiquiti make some great gear. The cold will not kill it but the heat will. Don't stick it up high in the roof space where it gets hottest. Mount it close to the floor.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which 8 port? Because the 150w 8 port unifi switch runs hot already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I mounted mine up in the garage roof space but have a pair of AC Infinity fans on a temp sensor to help keep the air moving across it.

dexter0380

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you installed it yet?
It's been installed in my garage since Dec of 2020 without any issues! It's now been through 1 hot MN summer and going on its 2nd cold MN winter (-5 here right now). My garage has no heat or fan or ventilation of any type. I simply set the switch on a shelf and let it do its thing. It's currently powering several PoE cameras and I have had no issues with the switch or network connections.

The switch is the UniFi Switch Lite 8 PoE SKU: USW-Lite-8-PoE

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I picked one of these up at the St. Louis Park store. it's been baking and freezing out in a detached garage since like July or August.