Switch from BI4 to BI5, now I have high CPU and Memory usage

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I made the switch this last week from BI4 to BI5. Now I am having the cpu and memory max out. Ive tried the wiki and going through the forums. Im obviously missing something.

Version 5.3.3.15 x64
Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004
Intel i7-8700 @ 3.7ghz
31.9G Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Currently 22 Cameras Running 2k or 4k at 15-30fps. (I have tried lowering the quality of the cameras and didn't get a change)

Each Camera Pertinent Settings
Video: Hardware Decode, No. GPU, any. Limit Decoding Checked.
Record: Blue Iris DVR File Format with Use FLAC Audio Compression Checked. Video Compression Direct to Disc. Pre Trigger Video Buffer Checked and set at 8 seconds.

BI Pertinent Settings
Other: Scaling set to Fast.
Cameras: Hardware Accelerated Decode, Intel. Limit Live Preview Rate Checked and set to 5 FPS.

Computer Settings:
I believe defrag, firewall, and anti-virus are shut down.
I am unable to shutoff auto updates, I can only delay.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You don't need 30fps, use 15.
Use the new sub stream option in BI, see: Sub Stream Guide
Be certain that All BI folders are exempt from Windows Defender.

All else fails, do a clean install of Windows using the Microsoft Media creation tool.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't need 30fps, use 15.
Use the new sub stream option in BI, see: Sub Stream Guide
Be certain that All BI folders are exempt from Windows Defender.

All else fails, do a clean install of Windows using the Microsoft Media creation tool.
I turned off Microsoft Defender Policy in the Local Group Policy Editor.
I'll start working on the sub stream, that will take me some time.
We use 30fps for a specific reason in our business, only 8 of the cameras use it. The rest are 15fps and lower.

Any suggestions with taking more advantage of the NVIDIA Card for Hardware Decoding?

Thank you!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally speaking, smaller cards like the NVidia 1050 will handle ten cameras or so, but are real power hogs using 100 watts and up. If you have it, use it and offload some video processing from the existing Intel system. You might want to install GPUZ to have a look at how it performs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
disable limit decoding and use the new substream feature instead- see wiki
are you in demo mode?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No other changes, just a version change. Thats why I'm stumped at the sudden increase in ram and cpu usage.
Are you remotely viewing the system through the web server when this is happening?

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you remotely viewing the system through the web server when this is happening?
I will be doing the sub stream fix this week. I just wanted to see what may be causing the issue with only the version change. I didn't want to do two changes and still have the same issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will be doing the sub stream fix this week. I just wanted to see what may be causing the issue with only the version change. I didn't want to do two changes and still have the same issue.
Didn’t answer the question.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Didn’t answer the question.
I made the changes you suggested wit Sub Stream. My CPU is currently at 7% and RAM at 4gb of usage. Lets see how it does through the day.

Question... Can I turn the Main Stream to 265 to save hard drive space, or do you still recommend 264?

Thanks