unmanaged
netgear
$240 170Wmax

now need another
amy recommendation

SodFather09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
TP link buy more ports then you actually need , for feature updates. I would also get one with all Poe and one or two Poe plus. You are buying now might as well future proof yourself. Also Some TP link switches have lifetime warranty.

TP-Link TL-SG2428P | Jetstream 24 Port Gigabit Smart Managed PoE Switch | 24 PoE+ Ports @250W, 4 SFP Slots | Omada SDN Integrated | PoE Recovery | IPv6 | Static Routing | Limited Lifetime Protection

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with buying new, but personally I stick with used enterprise grade switches being sold by large reselllers. These are switches that are being swapped out of large companies or data centers. They aren't broken, but being swapped out because they need higher speeds, or official support has ended, etc. The are perfect for "home use".

Personally I have several Brocade switches that are working really well and are readily available on EBay pretty cheap. Check out this thread on ServeTheHome's forums for all the information you will ever need regarding them.... Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

An ICX-6450 is probably a good fit and you can get the 48 port POE version for $100 or less on EBay and it will have way more features and options than any "consumer grade" switch you might purchase. (Of course you don't have to use any of that "extra" stuff, but it is there in case you ever need it - moving to use VLANs for example).

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had good luck with a couple of 28 port (24 are POE) Cisco small business managed switches. The only elephant in the room with them is the loud fans. Power draw minus POE loads is about 25 watts. Models to look for are SF300-24PP or the newer SF350-28P. They are "all over" ebay and under $100 if you look carefully. There's also an SF300-24P that has only the .af flavor of POE, not .at POE+. The SF350-28P needs a couple of SFP modules to use all 28 ports, not needed if you're good with 26 ports.

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had good luck with a couple of 28 port (24 are POE) Cisco small business managed switches. The only elephant in the room with them is the loud fans. Power draw minus POE loads is about 25 watts. Models to look for are SF300-24PP or the newer SF350-28P. They are "all over" ebay and under $100 if you look carefully. There's also an SF300-24P that has only the .af flavor of POE, not .at POE+. The SF350-28P needs a couple of SFP modules to use all 28 ports, not needed if you're good with 26 ports.
I did lots of search and found that SF350-28P sells for above $200 for used, cheapest one sold for $139.95+$24.82SH most 24P goes for $100 range and I happen to get lucky and got one for $67.66 after tax for a brand new one :wow:. Also eyeing SF300-26MP maybe will work better if those cameras are power hungry. I hope they do work well, just got it cus it was dirt cheap for as a backup. Thanks for recomending Cisco switches. :thumb:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I got my new (to me) SF-350-28P for $85 including shipping, but do agree in general with the prices you found. It was part luck and part hard-core cheapskatedness. My SF300 ran for a few years 24x7 without any hiccups. Now it's the spare I hopefully never need.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with buying new, but personally I stick with used enterprise grade switches being sold by large reselllers. These are switches that are being swapped out of large companies or data centers. They aren't broken, but being swapped out because they need higher speeds, or official support has ended, etc. The are perfect for "home use".

Personally I have several Brocade switches that are working really well and are readily available on EBay pretty cheap. Check out this thread on ServeTheHome's forums for all the information you will ever need regarding them.... Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

An ICX-6450 is probably a good fit and you can get the 48 port POE version for $100 or less on EBay and it will have way more features and options than any "consumer grade" switch you might purchase. (Of course you don't have to use any of that "extra" stuff, but it is there in case you ever need it - moving to use VLANs for example).
Okay, I get it...but you have to admit that those enterprise grade switches are way overkill for most people installing home security cameras and they're also very large and very noisy. My TP-Link PoE switch is in the TV room with my other video equipment and it makes no noise. Can you imagine watching TV and trying to compete with switch fan noise? :lmao:

Reaction score

Before I found this forum I managed to buy two crappy POE switches that failed fairly quickly. I took @The Automation Guy 's advice and
bought a Brocade ICX-6450 (24 ports) from Ebay. Mine was actually brand new, so I paid a premium for it: $250. You could argue that it is overkill for home users,
but the quality of the unit is remarkable and the features and options are not comparable with consumer grade switches. So another endorsement for
the Brocade switches.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would go with a brocade or something similar. I run an Aruba 48p poe switch that I picked up for ~40 bucks I think. Lots of guides on how to get it setup and such.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
One man's overkill might be another's good size. I use all 28 ports of my switch. 16 for cameras, 1 for the NVR, and 1 for the router leaves 10 ports. With a couple of computers and a few consumer gadgets like roku and tivo, the ports are all spoken for. (I do leave one open for camera setup and testing).

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One man's overkill might be another's good size. I use all 28 ports of my switch. 16 for cameras, 1 for the NVR, and 1 for the router leaves 10 ports. With a couple of computers and a few consumer gadgets like roku and tivo, the ports are all spoken for. (I do leave one open for camera setup and testing).
I have network switches on two separate floors so one big switch would not work for my setup.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have my large switch in my main area of the house then I use little unifi flex switches where I want to extend. Poe switch powered by poe. I use one outside my house and it works great. Adding another soon to the other far side of my house.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, I get it...but you have to admit that those enterprise grade switches are way overkill for most people installing home security cameras and they're also very large and very noisy. My TP-Link PoE switch is in the TV room with my other video equipment and it makes no noise. Can you imagine watching TV and trying to compete with switch fan noise? :lmao:
You raise a valid point about noise - it certainly can be an issue. These enterprise switches were not designed to be used in a Den or office but rather in a loud server environment where noise isn't a concern. That being said, there is a big variance in noise levels between models and not every enterprise quality switch is going to be annoyingly loud. I have several "normal" (ie not quiet) 48 port POE enterprise switches (along with 3 computers and a lot of AV equipment) in a closet in the "living portion" of my house and you can't hear anything with the closet door closed. But many switches can be loud and you should definitely do your homework if you need a "quiet" switch.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I got a 2nd hand HP 2530 (I think) switch which is all gigabit and supports POE+, think with the latest firmware update it now has a dual identity, so HP and Aruba.

This is the one I got HP Aruba 2530 24G POE+ Switch J9773A J9773-61001

Found it on FB marketplace, was something like £20 plus around £10 in petrol money to go collect it.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I got a 2nd hand HP 2530 (I think) switch which is all gigabit and supports POE+, think with the latest firmware update it now has a dual identity, so HP and Aruba.

This is the one I got HP Aruba 2530 24G POE+ Switch J9773A J9773-61001

Found it on FB marketplace, was something like £20 plus around £10 in petrol money to go collect it.
That's a steal!

Not only is it a 24 port 10/100/1000 POE switch, it also has 4 additional gigabit SFP slots. You can use these to connect to other devices using fiber or DAC cables. Just keep in mind that these particular ports are only gigabit however (many switches have 10gb or faster SFP+ ports). Odds are you will never use them, but there are there if you need them.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a steal!

Not only is it a 24 port 10/100/1000 POE switch, it also has 4 additional gigabit SFP slots. You can use these to connect to other devices using fiber or DAC cables. Just keep in mind that these particular ports are only gigabit however (many switches have 10gb or faster SFP+ ports). Odds are you will never use them, but there are there if you need them.
Yep, was an absolute steal, being a cheapskate I did knock the seller down to £20

Not using the SFP ports but I did recently find an fibre to UTP transceiver but can’t be bothered to go into the loft to connect and test.

The only really issue I had with it was as it’s in the loft during summer as it got hot up there the fans would ramp up and in the dead of the night you could hear them whirring away.

So I modified it by adding a 28ohm 2watt resistor in series with the positive supply to the fans, they are PWM controlled so not the ideal way to reduce their speed but as the resistor reduced the overall voltage supply to the fan it had the desired result as the unit could demand more speed from the fans but due the voltage being limited the fan would hit a max and go no faster.

Thought the unit might complain about the fan speed but it didn’t, so a win win all round.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, was an absolute steal, being a cheapskate I did knock the seller down to £20

Not using the SFP ports but I did recently find an fibre to UTP transceiver but can’t be bothered to go into the loft to connect and test.

The only really issue I had with it was as it’s in the loft during summer as it got hot up there the fans would ramp up and in the dead of the night you could hear them whirring away.

So I modified it by adding a 28ohm 2watt resistor in series with the positive supply to the fans, they are PWM controlled so not the ideal way to reduce their speed but as the resistor reduced the overall voltage supply to the fan it had the desired result as the unit could demand more speed from the fans but due the voltage being limited the fan would hit a max and go no faster.

Thought the unit might complain about the fan speed but it didn’t, so a win win all round.
Ah just take them out....who needs them lousy stinking noisy cooling fans anyway. :lmao: :lmao: