Switch to switch and then to router?

MrBlack

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!
Im building a system with 3 nvr and around 40 cams.
My question is:
Do i really need to go with each switch cable directly to router or i can extend the network from closest switch?
I wanna know pro's and cons.
Thanks in advance, have a nice day!

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm no pro (I've only set up one system) but I ran about 4 cameras from my shop to a single switch. That switch then ran to another switch in the house that also had 4 or so cameras on it which ultimately ran to the NVR. Don't quote me on this bet from what I recall I was using nowhere near the total bandwidth the system was capable of with the number of cameras I had but also ran nowhere near 40 cams.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do i really need to go with each switch cable directly to router or i can extend the network from closest switch?
You could "extend the network from closest switch" BUT...with the possibility of as many as 40 cams funneling through I'd go with a GIGABIT switch to minimize the possibility of a bottleneck at that point.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never run your cameras through your router. The router may become overloaded from the packet processing.

It is OK to run the cameras to a switch Then that switch to another switch . The first level switches should be POE to power the cameras. The second level switches should be regular Gigabit switches.

Are all cameras and NVRs on the same subset, or are they different sub nets an physical separate.

All IP are static.

A diagram of your proposed network would be very helpful