Switch to Switch Compatability

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So here is my Question:

If I Have two Switches; One with POE port capacity (15.4w), and the other (Different brand), with POE+, (30w Capacity), are they going to work together in a single LAN, VLANs, VPN? Assuming each switch is working with IP cams using the ports at their respective capacities. (PTZs etc.)

;

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes, except vlan.. they both have to have a standards compliant managed vlan implementation.. if one does not it can be given a port vlan assignment on the main switch and the entire branch switch and its devices will be on that vlan.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They could also run multiple vlans, but you would have to use an standarized trunking method like 802.1q
also like nayr already pointed out, they cannot be in one single managment domain most likely as they wont understand each other.
i would also be carefull not to make loops, as spanning tree or rapid spanning tree should be standard, it might not work between 2 brands.

so one link in between, 802.1q trunking method, and than your vlans should be able to work on both switches.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They could also run multiple vlans, but you would have to use an standarized trunking method like 802.1q
also like nayr already pointed out, they cannot be in one single managment domain most likely as they wont understand each other.
i would also be carefull not to make loops, as spanning tree or rapid spanning tree should be standard, it might not work between 2 brands.

so one link in between, 802.1q trunking method, and than your vlans should be able to work on both switches.
My two switches are:

NETGEAR ProSAFE GS510TP

And the:

Tripp Lite 24 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch 12 Outlet PDU 2 SFP 8 POE+ Ports (NSU-G24C2P08)

Both of these switches support vLan. (802.1q)

My trunk line is an OM4 duplex cable.

I'm not sure about the looping as you mentioned??? Not sure what to make of the spanning tree protocol. Is that a feature built into switches?

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That poe switch is not a managed one, so wont support vlans if amazon their info is correct:
Combines a Basic PDU and an Unmanaged 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet switch.

so you can connect the POE switch ito a normal switch port of the netgear and will extend the vlan that port is in. (If you did not define any vlans you will have one flat switched network, which could be ok for you.

do you need different vlans ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That poe switch is not a managed one, so wont support vlans if amazon their info is correct:
Combines a Basic PDU and an Unmanaged 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet switch.

so you can connect the POE switch ito a normal switch port of the netgear and will extend the vlan that port is in. (If you did not define any vlans you will have one flat switched network, which could be ok for you.

do you need different vlans ?
The ,Tripplite 24 port (8 POE+) switch is supposed to support vlan acording to Tripplite. I had contacted them about that. 802.3ac ??? see below.

However, this does bring up the question of the difference between the 802.1q and the 802.3ac and if they will work together??

Have I missed some
thing?

IEEE 802.3, Ethernet - Network Sorcery

www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/IEEE8023.htm

IEEE 802.3ac, VLAN tagging. This extension adds the capability to use VLAN tags within the frame. The maximum frame size is increased to 1522 bytes.

24 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch with 12 Outlet PDU, 2 SFP and 8 POE+ Ports

Compliant with Current Standards, Power-Saving Technology and 5-Year Warranty

The NSU-G24C2P08’s Ethernet switch is compliant with IEEE 802.3ab (1000BASE-T GbE), IEEE 802.3u (100BASE-TX Fast Ethernet), IEEE 802.3i (10BASE-T Ethernet), IEEE 802.3x (Full Duplex/Flow Control), IEEE 802.3 (NWAY Auto-Negotiation), IEEE 802.1P (QOS, Traffic Prioritization), IEEE 802.3at (POE), 802.3ac (VLAN) and 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet). For optimal performance, Cat6a cables, such as Tripp Lite’s N261-Series, are recommended.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmm, 802.3ac defines frames of 1522 bytes, but 802.1Q is also other way of putting information in the frame.
http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/course/lan-pages/vlan.html

802.1 are more standards for services
802.3 are more standard definitions of things.

The question will be if you switch can handle a larger frame of 1522 bytes as valid, or also read the vlan fields, and create the needed tables and seperate all traffic etc.

you can test this out, there should be a management interface which gives you options to assign ports to vlans, and first to create vlans (might have other names)
if this is not controllable, it migh only support those longer frames, and no real vlans..

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have started putting my system together in both buildings but it will be some time before it is all cabled and ready to try setting up Vlans. The WiFi access point, and the cameras still need to be purchased.