Switched routers..now no signal on any of my wireless cameras in BI

af66

n3wb
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help...I have 5 Foscam cameras and one Amcrest camera installed in my house that were working fine through Blue Iris with my old Belkin N1 router. I just upgraded to a Linksys AC2600 router, created the port forwarding requirements for all the cameras (similar to how I had them with the old Belkin router) and now I'm am getting a "No signal" message on all my cameras. I have been using an account through Dyn.com which Linksys does support for this router and have not changed anything within Dyn.com. I should note that I can see the cameras wirelessly through the Foscam and Amcrest software, and I can also see them both wirelessly and outside my network with my IP Cam Pro app on my Ipad (I checked by driving about a half mile away and was able to see the cameras on my app so I'm thinking the port forwarding menu is set up correctly for the cameras?). The Blue Iris was always just set up to view when I was outside my local network so I haven't checked it wirelessly to be honest...but given that I can see my cameras through my camera app on my Ipad when I'm outside my LAN, I'm thinking it must be a Blue Iris or Dyn config issue, but I'm not quite sure which parameters I would need to change. I'm also very confused as to why I can view my cameras remotely through the IP Cam app, but when I type in the remote address for the camera, it won't connect. All of this worked fine with the old router so I'm thinking my config is off somewhere. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

af66

n3wb
Reaction score
An update...I have 2 BI programs running in my house. 1 is installed on my desktop PC which is connected through my cable modem via a Cat6 cable with the Linksys router. The second one is installed on my laptop, which is the one I use to monitor my house when I am away. Currently I'm using the most updated version of BI on both, and as mentioned before, BI was working flawlessly on both computers with the Belkin N1 router previously installed...
So, I deactivated BI, uninstalled, and then re-installed the latest version on both computers. At this point I've noticed the following:

1) BI runs perfectly on both computers using my camera IP addresses and is very stable with no signal dropouts
2) Using my remote IP addresses (Dyndns), BI now shows images on 4 of the 5 Foscam cameras in my house using the desktop PC, but the signal drops out and reacquires at least 5-10 times a minute. It is unstable to say the least. The other Foscam camera and the Amcrest HD Pro camera in my house still show nothing.
3) I still am unable to get any signal on any of the cameras using the remote IP addresses on my laptop. The same setup parameters are being used on both BI programs (laptop and desktop)
4) Accessing the cameras by typing in their remote addresses via a browser and bypassing BI works fine, so I am "assuming" my port forwarding settings in the router are correct.
5) With my old router, I never entered a port forwarding command for the BI program itself. With this router I port forwarded the Port 81 (as BI referenced that in the parameters I'm using) but that did not change anything.

So at this point, I'm wondering if my problem is inherent to the Linksys router and not being compatible with the version of BI that I am running. If I am missing something, I would appreciate the feedback. I think the next thing I may do is uninstall BI and downgrade to V4.0 (prior to all the updates) and see if that will work. If that doesn't work, I'm personally out of ideas other than this specific router and BI not being compatible?

Last edited:

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe a silly question, but I'm not sure why you need two PC's running BI? I just run BI on a dedicated PC, and then use an app to check things when I'm not home. If you want to check from a laptop, you could do this too.

I use VPN instead of port forwarding, so I'm not familiar with what you need to do for port forwarding. With VPN, you just open the VPN and it acts like you're at home.

When you are trying to check your cameras away from home on the laptop, are you opening BI on the laptop, and all the camera streams are forwarded to the laptop?
I guess since this is foreign to me, not sure exactly how you are using the laptop when away from home.

Randy

af66

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what I do with the laptop..the camera streams through the Dyndns provider addresses..and with the Belkin N1 it worked flawlessly. To be honest, I'm not too familiar with the benefits of VPN. It's something I probably should familiarize myself with. How you describe your setup sounds like it could be less cumbersome and straightforward. Thanks for your suggestion!
After trying an earlier version of BI (4.0) and installing the cameras on it...no luck. It has to be either a setting on the router itself with how it is sending the remote signals to the BI program...the desktop sees most of the cameras, but only the remote streams are unstable and drop out frequently...nothing still on the laptop...and I'm convinced since local IP addresses work great on both BI programs. this is a remote IP address issue.
I have the DDNS identifiers in the router setup and I port forwarded each camera's IP address...but for some unexplained reason BI (or the router to the BI program) does not like the remote addresses at all. I think I'm close but no cigar yet.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can learn about VPN from this thread
VPN Primer for Noobs

And I think you really should reconsider running the 2nd instance of BI.
BI supports remote viewing by apps or from internet explorer so people don't have to do what you're doing.
You just have to run BI on one PC at your house, and then have access to that PC when you're not home.

Then you should not need to port forward any of your cameras. Port forwarding is bad for security.

You would need to port forward the BI machine, but you would be better off setting up OpenVPN to use instead of port forwarding. But if it was me, I would get the port forwarding method working first since that's what you've been doing. Do one thing at a time. (The security types won't like this, but I don't like to make too many changes at once. Not sure if your new router supports VPN, it makes implementing VPN easier)

Randy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what I do with the laptop..the camera streams through the Dyndns provider addresses..and with the Belkin N1 it worked flawlessly. To be honest, I'm not too familiar with the benefits of VPN. It's something I probably should familiarize myself with. How you describe your setup sounds like it could be less cumbersome and straightforward. Thanks for your suggestion!
After trying an earlier version of BI (4.0) and installing the cameras on it...no luck. It has to be either a setting on the router itself with how it is sending the remote signals to the BI program...the desktop sees most of the cameras, but only the remote streams are unstable and drop out frequently...nothing still on the laptop...and I'm convinced since local IP addresses work great on both BI programs. this is a remote IP address issue.
I have the DDNS identifiers in the router setup and I port forwarded each camera's IP address...but for some unexplained reason BI (or the router to the BI program) does not like the remote addresses at all. I think I'm close but no cigar yet.

I'm confused on how your cameras and BI computer are setup. Are the cameras hardwired or wireless? I prefer to keep my IP cameras and BI computer on a networking switch separate from the main router (keeps the camera traffic off the main network).

You should not be port forwarding each individual camera.

Go to the options menu in Blue Iris and click on "Web server". On the top go to where it says "Enable the HTTP web sever on port:...". So if the port number in there is 81, you would need to forward port 81 to the IP address of your BI computer.

Your BI computer and all IP cameras on the network should at a minimum have a DHCP reservation in the router. I prefer to assign them static IP's.