Sync your camera time to your Windows PC.

HineySmack

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is how to sync your cameras to your windows PC so you don't have to expose your cameras to internet.

Use the built in Windows NTP Server!

1. In the Windows Registry:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\AnnounceFlags
- Change the value from 10 to 5 (you may need to click Decimal to see the number)

b. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpServer
- Change the value to Enabled = 1

2. In Windows Services:
- Set the Windows Time Service to Automatic Startup and Start the Service.

3. In the Windows Firewall:
- Create an inbound rule in the Windows Firewall for UDP Port 123. Uncheck the Public check box during rule creation.

4. In your camera configuration:
- For the NTP server, enter the IP address of your PC and save.
- I’m not sure about other cameras, but in Hikvision there is a test button that is comes in handy.

Notes: You will still need to set your DST settings in your camera’s time configuration.
You may also want to set the camera to check time every 10 minutes (interval).
You may also want to set a static IP address or reserve that IP in your router so the IP doesn't change and then cameras will lose time.

edit: For a Windows PC not on a domain, you must run this command to make the Windows Time Service start automatically after reboot.
Run the following command to delete the trigger event that's registered as the default setting and to change the Startup Type setting for the Windows Time service from Manual to Automatic:

sc triggerinfo w32time delete

ref: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2385818/windows-time-service-doesn-t-start-automatically-on-a-workgroup-comput

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
+1 for NetTime. I use it on a lot of PCs, even those that don't need to be time servers, because NetTime does a better job than Windows at keeping the clock accurate.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you delete or put in a fake default gateway in the camera so the camera is no longer "on the internet," does the NetTime tool still work to sync camera times?

Last edited:

Omaha

n3wb
Reaction score
If Nettime is setup properly on your PC and each camera is set to update every minute, is it unusual for there to be several seconds of disparity between cameras. Most of my cams are within a 1-2 seconds of each other, but I do have an outlier. How close do your camera times align with each other and with your PCs system time?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If Nettime is setup properly on your PC and each camera is set to update every minute, is it unusual for there to be several seconds of disparity between cameras. Most of my cams are within a 1-2 seconds of each other, but I do have an outlier. How close do your camera times align with each other and with your PCs system time?
1-2 seconds. And most that is lag introduced by the cam's feed.
I only have the cams updating every 30 minutes.