Synology Camera Recommendation Daytime and Night time capture

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of great LPR posts on this this website and talked to a local installer. He said we should supply the LPC camera and he can install to save money. The cheapest LPR camera they sell starts around $1000. I'm a little outside of my comfort zone in this area. One constraint for the camera is it needs to be compatible Synology Surveillance. I do not want to make managing this camera any harder on myself. This is another job I do as the solo IT guy. So I ordered a Hikvision DS-2CD2623G0-IZS (2.8mm -12mm) for $80. I never tested at night because it could not read license plates from 30 ft-40ft away in the daytime. I realize that I'm going to need a larger focal length. Camera housing shape doesn't matter to me.

I wouldn't think twice about buying the 5241-Z12E if it was on the synology list. These two are on the list IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E or IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E. Is there still love for these cameras? Does anyone know a reliable source to buy?

Synology Surveillance Supported Camera's list - Surveillance Station IP Camera Support List | Synology Inc.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the Z12E is still the go to camera due to its focal length.

Keep in mind this camera does not actually read the plates, rather you set the camera up such that you can manually read the plates or use a 3rd party program to read the plates.

The 5241 is the replacement to the 5231, so it may work in your VMS.

Most of us go to trusted member @EMPIRETECANDY here for our camera needs. You can DM him or go to his website or Amazon page.