Synology NAS as BI storage + standby recorder?

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a i5-4590 PC which works as a server for an automated cow milking station. It is totally overpowered, so I installed BI on it.
The problem is that I would like to have recordings on a remote location (at home, connected via ethernet), in case someone steals that PC.

I was thinking about 2 solutions:

- buy a new PC to home, which would run BI instead, the current one is slow and mostly running half a day anyway. (cost 575 USD for i7-4790k)

- buy Synology DS214se Disc Station (or more powerfull DS215j, or something) and setup BI to record there. If it would eat on avarage let's say 50W less than the first choice, then that's 87 USD saved a year (DS215j would cost 160USD). And it could be also used for automatic backup of the PC at home, so that's a plus.
But I have no experience with that and I see few issues:

• How to record to it? I assume that it is possible to mount the NAS HDD as network drive and setup BI's New and Storage folders there - but not sure about the playback latency and overall performance. Or I have read that someone used Yadis software for instant backup - it seems to work quite well for continuous recording, so I could keep the New folder on the PC to keep playback fast.
  • What to do when the PC with BI shuts down, is there some good way how to start streaming directly to the NAS? I am thinking about running some script on NAS which would keep a connection to BI PC, and then executed for example ffmpeg to save the stream from several cameras (not sure if it would work, but someone have already used ffmpeg on Synology https://github.com/CutePoisonX/ffmpegInstaller)

Any comments?

Last edited by a moderator: