Synology Storage and NAS questions (and request for help)

ipso

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two DS-2CD3332-I cameras and a Synology DS 213j with Surveillance Station (SS). I'm happy with in-camera motion detection and SS recording. The problem is the excruciatingly slow playback even when viewed locally on the same LAN. In Timeline mode it takes forever to move from one recording segment to the next. I'm thinking the DS hardware is not up to the task. As an alternative I tried to use in-camera recording and save directly to a sub directory in DS but I cannot figure out how to do this. I obviously don't understand Storage and NAS and file path settings. On a related subject, I have tried to save motion detection snapshot images to the Synology but again I have been unable to do this. If anyone is familiar with this hardware combo I'd really appreciate hearing whether this is possible to do. TIA.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which version of DSM (disk station manager) and Surveillance Station do you have?

Do you have a gigabit ethernet network? Or fast ethernet?
Or are you trying to view over wifi?

Viewing on a PC? or Mac?

That all can come into play with the responsiveness.

I've used it successfully with an older DS211+ and different cameras one at a time, without much of a delay. Timeline should be equally responsive with just two, I would think. Looking at the CPU specs, looks like yours might somewhat directly compare to mine. http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have give or take a fraction of a Ghz.

Do you have many other services running? What does resource monitor say?

Not sure on the snapshots. Would need to sit in front of mine to get to those details.

PS: I should point out that Surveillance Station 5 was satisfactory. The initial 6 release is a different matter. Should be much improved in 6.3 supposedly, which I haven't tried yet. Requires DSM 5.something. Which I've just upgraded to yesterday.

PS:pS: Word of caution regarding security. If you have port forwarding on for port 5000 for remote access and not the latest version of whatever DSM you are on: turn of port forwarding in your router, or take the DS offline. There's malware called "synolocker" going around the internet infecting systems that can be reached remotely via port 5000.

Last edited by a moderator:

ipso

n3wb
Reaction score
Short run Cat 6 from camera to DSM so likely no delay there. Running Surveillance Station 6.3-3347. DSM 5.0-4493 Update 3 on OSX 10.9.4. Two 3T WD Reds. WAN live viewing has minimal stutter so can't figure why poor playback speed with no other resources running on late model Macbook Air. I've tried t record to DSM but Storage and NAS and file path settings are not intuitive. Likewise, snapshot save to NAS is not working as expected. Have you ever done this? BTW, Port 5000 is forwarded by DSM to non-standard https port, so hopefully no synolocker problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

ipso

n3wb
Reaction score
Which version of DSM (disk station manager) and Surveillance Station do you have?

PS:pS: Word of caution regarding security. If you have port forwarding on for port 5000 for remote access and not the latest version of whatever DSM you are on: turn of port forwarding in your router, or take the DS offline. There's malware called "synolocker" going around the internet infecting systems that can be reached remotely via port 5000.
Are you using http? I have always used https but maybe that's the reason for the poor performance. Of course not the default ports.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just ran a quick test with SS 6.3 on the 211+. One camera connected. Let it do some recordings overnight. Cat 6 wire through a couple switches to a mac mini which has the next version of OS X (wink). Installed the syno plugin in safari. Timeline responsiveness is pretty much spot on. No noticeable delays really. Only issue I notice is that during playback, there's a bit of delay ever few secs. Like a 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, as if the video connection needs to rebuffer a bit.

Had a quick look on a core 2 duo mac mini. Timeline response is fine, but its CPU is maxed out, which I don't think should be happening. Video has that bit of skip / stutter 1 2 1 2 1 2.

I'll try to play around some more. Maybe in the synology forum there's some more info.

ipso

n3wb
Reaction score
Some additional info...

I have mp4 Video Station movies that stream over https without any buffering or stutter. Conversely SS Timeline takes minutes to load, sometimes never and once finally loaded and playback starts it's totally unusable because each segment buffers and plays back at high speed then takes forever to move to the next segment. I'm remotely logged in to DS using https so I thought maybe that's the problem but if so then why does Video Station play without any problem?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Timeline taking minutes to load is a serious one. I'm thinking something may be wrong with the SS install. Wondering if you should try to delete the cameras, then add them back in, giving that aspect a fresh start?

I've looked at the synology forum a bit, but nothing stands out. I know the java and plugin complaints have been very high, all of them causing a variety of issues for users, especially on mac, but I can't put my finger on anything. I'll have to pay attention to my mini's cpu next time I log in, to see if it is as bad as on the core2duo. I don't recall it being a problem under java. Noting that I've been test driving SS on/off over time, haven't used it in a continuous fashion. Just built my own little nvr, but may link the DS to two basic foscams. (though they seemed to have crashed again ... can't be found by ip address ... sigh)

Have you tried shooting a note to syno support? They're a bit swamped with synolocker, but may know something.

A post in the surveillance station subforum of synology may get a response too, though that subsection is pretty quiet, compared to others.

ipso

n3wb
Reaction score
Timeline taking minutes to load is a serious one. I'm thinking something may be wrong with the SS install. Wondering if you should try to delete the cameras, then add them back in, giving that aspect a fresh start?
Yes, I thought the same so I did an uninstall and reinstall and then added the cameras.

To clarify my comment about the page load timing, sometimes the page never loads or maybe it will with a refresh but even then it seems to take a minute. Whatever, it's not usable as it is on a high-end Macbook Pro or a new Macbook Air. So frustrating!

And I did post a request for help on the SS Syno forum but no response so far.