Synology Surveillance Station + Dahua Cam Support

cosmo798

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm new into the whole IP-camera club and I need your help.
I thought it would be easy finding a setup that suited my needs but that was not the case.

I think I've settled into buying a Synology NAS and runnig their Surveillance Station software on it. I need a NAS solution at home (2 in 1 for me) and I think their mobile and desktop app looks good.
What I do want is a camera with AI built in the camera (Since Synologys AI solutions require very expensive hardware solutions from them) where I want to:
1. Detect person & veichle
2. Select an area in the picture where the detection is done

I've seen that Synology has a huge list of cameras thats supported (I assume that means it support the cameras build in AI and other functions of each camera) BUT that list seems quite outdated.

I've looked at Dahua cameras since they are quite easy to get a hold of here in Sweden and it seems that you get quite much camera for the price.

Now to the question:
The most popular Dahua camera in Sweden seems to be "IPC-HDBW5541R-ASE" - Do anyone know if this cam is supported by Synology?
IF not; do anyone have a suggestion for a similar camera thats supported by Synology? (PoE, Outside, Dome, ~5mp, IR, Wide angle, AI)

I've tried to search all parts of google and this forum without finding an answere.

Thank you.
/Cosmo

cosmo798

n3wb
Reaction score
bumping this.
Anyone? Camera suggestions that work great with Synology? (See requirements in first post)

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bumping this.
Anyone? Camera suggestions that work great with Synology? (See requirements in first post)
Not sure about that specific model, but Dahua cameras are generally well-supported on Synology. Check out my post on using Deepstack AI as it’ll work with any camera supported by Synology; will also cost much less for non-AI cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigasspimp

n3wb
Reaction score
The one thing I am not sure if you have accounted for is the licensing fees for additional cameras wit synology? Not sure which one you are going to be running but I dont recall many that out of the box carried more that 2 license for cameras. I think I looked up the cost and its about 50+ (USD) per camera. I know you can get a bundle and bring the cost down some but if you had 10 to 15 camera you are talking about a fair chunk of change

Food for thought

Dynamite

n3wb
Reaction score
Despite the fact I decided to build sssAI and deepstack docker solution which runs flawlessly a year now geared with reolink 410, 511 and hikvision 2-cd2023 (7 cams), I like the progress camera manufactures made with person/object detection. Any camera built-in object processing helps the Synology performance (no iternediate steps in detection process), thus as long as such a device is supported by Surveillance Station it is more than welcomed. Indeed the SSS cameras database haven't been updated quite some time already. I think this is for a purpose. They sell own models with AI, quite overpriced and for commercial use mainly. In the meantime they work on DSM 7 firmware, which may introduce some changes.

But now to your Dahua plan - if the model you consider supports ONVIF, its easy then. Detection is made on camera itself. It triggers further behaviour of camera. Once connected to Synology Surveillance System and paired as onvif camera (if not embedded to the list), you can set motion detection based on camera (not SSS) behaviour. Done! AI object detection with camera, triggering recordings on SSS afterwards. But having this feature available on camera already, is that worth to use SSS anymore? Perhaps a better alternative would be ZoneMinder or MotionEye run on docker? At least some saving on SSS licenses.

I like my SSS/sssAI/deepstack docker gear. It's running well, combined with other self-hosted services. Synology runs well multiple docker instances at the same time, performing great backup job, and replacing few raspberries :)

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been running a Synology NAS and SS for several years. The Synology NAS I love, but I have never felt that great about SS. I spent around $250 on camera licenses, and it definitely adds up as i also had to buy larger NAS device to get the cpu power to support the streams.

I run the cameras mostly as generic onvif, and have had issues with Dahua cams and firmware versions which took a while but eventually got resolved.

I am getting to the point where i need to upgrade the NAS and i am not going to continue with SS. It does all the basics OK, but nothing great. Motion detection, trip wire, searching for videos of events - all kinda mediocre.

I am thinking of getting either a Dahua NVR to take advantage of camera native features - or going BI. I also liked the idea of 2 birds with one stone, and I also have 5 drives which the nas deals with very well.