System Critique - Ubiquiti, HikVision

ufg8rmike

n3wb
Reaction score
Recently completed custom home build. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this site when making my choices. Thoughts on this setup? Will the POE switch work with the camera system?

-Cat 6a cable for 16 cameras
-1 acre plus properties with little ambient light unless floodlights are on.

I decided on HikVision, and ordered and NVR, however I am still undecided on Cameras. I chose the 32 channel due to the 8mp cameras. It says this NVR can only handle eight, 8MP cameras? 320mbps incoming bandwidth. How is this possible? What happens with 16 of them?
-HikVision DS-9632NI-M8 32 channel -WD 14TB Purple Pro
Camera options? Open to suggestions. Decided against color Vue due to lack of ambient lighting.
-Currently leaning towards the AcuSense DS-2CD2383G2-IU 8mp turret 2.8

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
5 is a lot of access points. It must be an extremely large house or built from materials that block wifi badly?

Yes, the PoE switch will be great for cameras.

It says this NVR can only handle eight, 8MP cameras? 320mbps incoming bandwidth. How is this possible? What happens with 16 of them?
I do not really understand NVR resolution limits, but that is listed as a "decoding capacity" limit which likely means it does not affect recording, only concurrent playback capability. 320 Mbps would be the recording limit, which is basically fine for a 32 channel NVR as that allows up to 10 Mbps bit rate for 32 cameras at once. I use Blue Iris on a PC because it doesn't have such limits.

That DS-2CD2383G2-IU uses a small sensor for 8 megapixels so it will have poor low-light performance compared to other cameras. Also with all wide angle lenses you won't be able to identify anyone unless they get up close. I recommend you start reading the first couple posts here The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection Although it mostly talks about Dahua cameras. Hikvision has comparable models if you want to stick with the same brand as your NVR.

ufg8rmike

n3wb
Reaction score
5 is a lot of access points. It must be an extremely large house or built from materials that block wifi badly?

Yes, the PoE switch will be great for cameras.

I do not really understand NVR resolution limits, but that is listed as a "decoding capacity" limit which likely means it does not affect recording, only concurrent playback capability. 320 Mbps would be the recording limit, which is basically fine for a 32 channel NVR as that allows up to 10 Mbps bit rate for 32 cameras at once. I use Blue Iris on a PC because it doesn't have such limits.

That DS-2CD2383G2-IU uses a small sensor for 8 megapixels so it will have poor low-light performance compared to other cameras. Also with all wide angle lenses you won't be able to identify anyone unless they get up close. I recommend you start reading the first couple posts here The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection Although it mostly talks about Dahua cameras. Hikvision has comparable models if you want to stick with the same brand as your NVR.
Ya, the house is all concrete block. One is for the garage, and one is for outside on the lanai, so I really only have 3 inside the house.

Thanks for the input on the cameras, I saw another post regarding the importance of sensor size but don't understand enough to choose.

I believe I should stick with the same brand as the NVR to make plug and play easier. Any chance you can recommend which Hikvision Cameras you would go with in this situation?

Thanks

ufg8rmike

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's an elevation with some general measurements to property lines. The one up front is under the front entry, and the two under the roof at the back are under the lanai.

Screen-Shot-2024-02-20-at-10.58.jpg

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I decided on HikVision, and ordered and NVR, however I am still undecided on Cameras. I chose the 32 channel due to the 8mp cameras. It says this NVR can only handle eight, 8MP cameras? 320mbps incoming bandwidth. How is this possible? What happens with 16 of them?

Camera options? Open to suggestions. Decided against color Vue due to lack of ambient lighting.
-Currently leaning towards the AcuSense DS-2CD2383G2-IU 8mp turret 2.8
You little facked up by choosing HikVision NVR when You want IR (not white light) cameras with big sensor :(

Hik Vision have broad catalog (bigger that Dahua) of ColorVu cams with 4/6/8 Mpx and big 1/1.8" sensor (plus 8 Mpx with 1/1.2" sensor).

But if You look for normal IR cameras in normal Pro series with AcuSense series You will find that there are only some 8 Mpx models (2086G2, 2386G2, 2686G2, 2H86G2, 2T86G2) with 1/1.8" sensor.. All 2/4/6 Mpx IR models are with smaller sensor...

Dahua here is much better - You have 5442 and 5842 IR lines with 1/1.8" sensor and full catalog of different chassis / lens / colors..

If you want 4 Mpx 1/1.8" IR cam from HIK you must look for much higher project lines - 3x4x ultra or 7x4x DeepinMind models, which cost much more and are much harder to find..

ufg8rmike

n3wb
Reaction score
Good thing, I just got the NVR and haven't opened it yet. I can return it and go with Dahua.

Care to recommend a system? NVR and Cams? Best performance for the buck for what I'm trying to do?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good thing, I just got the NVR and haven't opened it yet. I can return it and go with Dahua.

Care to recommend a system? NVR and Cams? Best performance for the buck for what I'm trying to do?
Dahua 5xxx-EI NVR + Dahua 5442 cams with varifocal lens (with optical 1-3x zoom)...

Dahua 5442 is most popular cam on this forum. 4 Mpx, big 1/1.8" high quality image sensor + best image processing, lots of AI functionality, good stable firmware, lots of chassis (turret, bullet, dome), optics (fixed / varifocal 1-3x / varifocal 3-9x) and color (black/white) options..

5xxx-EI NVR is latest medium tier NVR from Dahua.. Supports all latest cams /AI functions... 8/16/32 cams models available...

Here on forum we mostly use Dahua OEM cams delivered by Andy, who sells it much cheaper compared to Dahua..

Ready to use packages:

For list all 5442 IR models:

All NVR (look only for AI models):

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
PS. looking for Yours satellite house image - You have a lot distance to street. If you want to have good image about cars/people over street You should think about minimal 2 cams with 3-9x optical zoom.. there are called 5442-Z4E and gives You possibility to optical zoom to full screen people/cars at 75ft distance..

there are only available as bullets and domes (no turrets)..

ufg8rmike

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua 5xxx-EI NVR + Dahua 5442 cams with varifocal lens (with optical 1-3x zoom)...

Dahua 5442 is most popular cam on this forum. 4 Mpx, big 1/1.8" high quality image sensor + best image processing, lots of AI functionality, good stable firmware, lots of chassis (turret, bullet, dome), optics (fixed / varifocal 1-3x / varifocal 3-9x) and color (black/white) options..

5xxx-EI NVR is latest medium tier NVR from Dahua.. Supports all latest cams /AI functions... 8/16/32 cams models available...

Here on forum we mostly use Dahua OEM cams delivered by Andy, who sells it much cheaper compared to Dahua..

Ready to use packages:

For list all 5442 IR models:

All NVR (look only for AI models):

Thanks!! I will take a look. Can you clarify the NVR model number? It came through as 5XXX-EI

Also, who is Andy, is he with empiretech?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks!! I will take a look. Can you clarify the NVR model number? It came through as 5XXX-EI

Also, who is Andy, is he with empiretech?
Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) is a guy who for last 8 years as Dahua OEM delivers us Dahua equipment for 3-4x better prices (compared to full Dahua prices).
He has shop EmpireTech | Security Protection | Security Cameras & NVRs and Amazon one EmpireTech

Here on forum he has own sub forum to support his products (new product information, video tutorials, firmware, questions etc): EmpireTech Andy

On YouTube You will find many video test of Andy delivered Dahua cams:
5xxx-EI is a series name of latest mid-tier NVR line... first x is HDD's number (2, 4, 8), last two x are channels number (08, 16, 32). There are models with and without POE switch builtin.

Full list of models You will find on Dahua website:

All NVR on Andy website with AI suffix are from 5xxx-EI series.
Models with 4K suffix are old (non AI) series.. 608-XI is from highest Dahua NVR series (6xx-XI)..

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.