T-Bar Clip recommendations?

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got to get some T-Bar Clips to install some Hikvision Dome Cameras (from Nellys) and I'm looking for suggestions on which ones to buy. I've never used them to install cameras on ceiling grid since I usually use toggle bolts.

My concern is getting ones that are too short/long or too big to fit through the hole and I don't have any cameras on hand to take with me to the hardware store. Has anybody that's done this before have suggestions on which Clips/Nuts to buy

Or are they all pretty much one size/length?

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but anybody have any suggestions on which t-bar clips/nuts to buy?

budaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like theyre made to screw into the back of a mount? I can try and find an old mount and compare it to holes in a camera for you.

Last edited:

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I managed to find some laying around (and a camera) where I worked and thought they'd be perfect. They're Caddy 4G8. Unfortunately, they're too short for a Hikvision dome camera.

It's ridiculous how expensive some of these Clips are, especially if they become a paperweight because the studs are too big or too short. And I'd hate to use self tapping screws for concern the business owner decides to move the camera and now they have holes in their grid (which are white). Sadly that may be the cheapest and only route.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
A little creative bending of some flashing and machine screw or two could solve your problem fairly easily.

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry for the bump on this and the late reply. I just wanted to update the status on this to save other people some trouble in the future.

I might have missed something, but I learned real quick that these T-Bar Clips will not work on the Hikvision Dome cameras by themselves. The nut sits so close to the edge that I was unable to completely tighten down the nut anything more than finger tight because of the edge having a lip that kept the bolt from turning any more. Because nut was so close to the edge/lip, it kept me from locking down the dome cover onto the camera as well.

But if you find yourself with no option but to mount to the ceiling grid itself, you need to get the conduit ceiling mount accessory. It's not the most attractive profile since it makes your camera stick out that much more, but it should work with T-Bar Clips with no issue since there's no dome cover or edge that will get in your way of properly securing it.

Appreciate all the support guys/gals. This place has done so much in helping me gain a lot of confidence and tips installing cameras so I hope to return the favor and maybe save somebody a little bit of headache.

If I need to include pictures for anybody not understanding the issue with the bolt/nut on the camera, let me know and I'll find a camera to demo it on.