Tablet based security system, is it possible?

scampo77

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to build a security system that starts with a GSM SIM carded tablet and I could add usb cams to the tablet for them to record. The part I need help with is I would like to request still photos from this tablet system. if I am broadcasting all of the cameras to the cloud 24/7 then I will go bankrupt in mobile data charges. but if I could get notified for motion or if I could request a photo from the cams this would ease the load and would still hopefully record locally.

is any of this even possible?

scampo77

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to set this up in a car, so 5 meters is fine. I am not opposed to IP vs USB cameras as I don't think this will be the biggest hurtle I will need to overcome. recording locally and requesting globally will be the main issue. does this tech exist?

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suggest you take a close look at the android TinyCam Pro app. It has most or all of the features you described including local and cloud recording on motion detection, motion alerts, and low recording frame rate possibilities. See tinycammonitor.com . There is a TinyCam sub-forum here if you have questions.

scampo77

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks so much to both of the responses! I will check them out I want to put this in an RV/truck thing. So it needs to be sort of mobile. I will try these two apps and report back!

Reaction score
I would like to build a security system that starts with a GSM SIM carded tablet and I could add usb cams to the tablet for them to record. The part I need help with is I would like to request still photos from this tablet system. if I am broadcasting all of the cameras to the cloud 24/7 then I will go bankrupt in mobile data charges. but if I could get notified for motion or if I could request a photo from the cams this would ease the load and would still hopefully record locally.

is any of this even possible?
Yes, ive done this using tinycam and a UVC camera and a Y otg cable, so usb camera can be powered same time as tablet, I used a Git2 actioncam as the camera, but could be anything.
if you integrate with Tasker, then all sorts of things could happen, I make the tablet play a siren sound, send txt message, email etc

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Problem is that PoE(IP) cameras have a built-in delay, one to three seconds, that would make them a little questionable while in motion in a mobile environment.

Reaction score
Problem is that PoE(IP) cameras have a built-in delay, one to three seconds, that would make them a little questionable while in motion in a mobile environment.
You wouldnt need to use POE cameras, normal Ip cameras would work if the tablet was a hotspot or if you had a car based mobile router to connect wifi ip cameras too. I think when OP meant mobile, he didnt mean in constant motion.
As in when car is parked somewhere, to provide protection from car theft . so the motion detection of tinycam would be fine. if you had tinycam running on a tablet, or even an android TV, you can access it all remotely from a phone as well.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any IP camera, whether it's PoE or not, has the same delay problem. Note that IP is in parenthesis after the PoE to indicate that. The only "instantaneous" video is CVI and even that has a measurable, but insignificant, delay.

Reaction score
Any IP camera, whether it's PoE or not, has the same delay problem. Note that IP is in parenthesis after the PoE to indicate that. The only "instantaneous" video is CVI and even that has a measurable, but insignificant, delay.
Tinycam can record before the motion event in a buffer
so if its 3 second delay, then the footage would still cover the detected event. Tinycam also has face and vehicle detection now.

Only problem is if tasker event needs to trigger something like tablet taking a photo outside of tinycam, as the subject could have walked past, but the video would still cover the event.
A 3 second delay on siren shouldnt be much of an issue.

Ive got mine combined with arduino so i have PIR detection covered as well.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
So Tiny Cam can decode an IP stream, basically, instantly. Who'd a thunk? The delay becomes critical when the vehicle is in motion only. When it's parked it doesn't matter at all. I'm just trying to point out the potential problems of using IP while in motion so they can be avoided. Even a 1/4 or 1/2 second delay could be, shall we say, fatal.

Reaction score
I suppose it all boils down to what the motion detection would be used for and what the system in general would be used for.
I agree, if the motion detection is something like collision avoidance in motion, then yep, completely agree unsuitable.
If its just to protect car from thieves and vandals or shoppers hitting your car with a trolley, then the buffer will be fine.

In summary, Tinycam is an excellent app, and should be looked at by anyone whatever the situation.