TALK ME OFF THE LEDGE

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm ready to pick up my first camera and have decided the Dahua 4MP Starlight+ AI series seems like my best option. Appreciate the testing and postings done. The part I'm struggling with is deciding between a varifocal bullet vs fixed lens turret. The mantra here is to get a varifocal for testing, which in this case has to be the bullet version. My primary hesitation with the varifocal is that the low light spec (minimum illumination) is better on the fixed lens and lighting isn't the best in this area. Below are views of the two locations I've spotted to cover the driveway. The black cans are approximate markers for where I'd like to start picking up a decent image. Based on the pics, can it be determined which fixed lens would be best (2.8mm, 3.6mm or 6mm) or should I stick with the varifocal for the initial testing and not worry about the low light level?
Appreciate the help. Thanks!

cam 1a.jpgcam 1b.jpgcam 2a.jpgcam 2b.jpg

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If stay with fixed lense, you would need the 6mm.
Do you leave the coach lights on at night?
Thanks for the reply and info. I'll check with Empire Andy to see if he as a 6mm cam in stock for the 5442 series.

Yes, the front lights (qty 5) are on a timer and come on at dusk and stay on until dawn. Used to go off at 11pm but I changed to LED bulbs over the summer so I'm okay with the extended hours. There's also a motion flood light centered over the double garage door.

Below is a front door pic where CAM 3 will point towards and I revised the CAM 2 pic to show its approximate mounting point. Will try to keep it as low as possible with acceptance from my wife.

cam 2a.jpgcam 3a.JPG

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not too complicated things, but you might think of placing a hidden camera (i.e. bird house) camera in your hedges facing towards your house. Get some PVC conduit, paint the cameras and outdoor Cat5/6 cable.
I have over 30 cameras at my house (yea, fell down the rabbit hole). The one’s that seem to be most effective are the ones placed lowest and pointed towards the house. Give an excellent facial recognition, and the ones pointed towards the house seem to be the best angles and most useful if there would be a break in.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and info. I'll check with Empire Andy to see if he as a 6mm cam in stock for the 5442 series.

Yes, the front lights (qty 5) are on a timer and come on at dusk and stay on until dawn. Used to go off at 11pm but I changed to LED bulbs over the summer so I'm okay with the extended hours. There's also a motion flood light centered over the double garage door.

Below is a front door pic where CAM 3 will point towards and I revised the CAM 2 pic to show its approximate mounting point. Will try to keep it as low as possible with acceptance from my wife.

View attachment 51454View attachment 51455
With those lights on, you should be in good shape picture wise. If you leave the lights by the door on, position the cam so it's not looking at said lights or you will get lens flare.
Remember test every proposed location with a portable test rig for a minimum of 24hrs. Use 8ft 2x4, 5 gal bucket, rocks for ballast.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not too complicated things, but you might think of placing a hidden camera (i.e. bird house) camera in your hedges facing towards your house. Get some PVC conduit, paint the cameras and outdoor Cat5/6 cable.
I have over 30 cameras at my house (yea, fell down the rabbit hole). The one’s that seem to be most effective are the ones placed lowest and pointed towards the house. Give an excellent facial recognition, and the ones pointed towards the house seem to be the best angles and most useful if there would be a break in.
Thanks DRZmaui - good ideas. I'm trying to keep the camera count to a minimum but I can see how you get an impulse to add more. 30 cams at one house, too funny! At least you recognize your illness ;)

Last edited:

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With those lights on, you should be in good shape picture wise. If you leave the lights by the door on, position the cam so it's not looking at said lights or you will get lens flare.
Remember test every proposed location with a portable test rig for a minimum of 24hrs. Use 8ft 2x4, 5 gal bucket, rocks for ballast.
Thanks Looney2ns - appreciate the input. Will test as instructed.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
the beginning of this thread was an earful. Quite a bit of network stuff went over my head.
Found this video about Stunnel and came to ipcamtalk to search Stunnel wondering what it was.

But reading about this, and watching the YouTube in the Wiki regarding Stunnel; vs. using OpenVPN, to me it looks like the OpenVPN is more secure, just that you have to put it on each client. But then again I don't have deep understanding of the deep inner workings of internet traffic.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the beginning of this thread was an earful. Quite a bit of network stuff went over my head.
Found this video about Stunnel and came to ipcamtalk to search Stunnel wondering what it was.

But reading about this, and watching the YouTube in the Wiki regarding Stunnel; vs. using OpenVPN, to me it looks like the OpenVPN is more secure, just that you have to put it on each client. But then again I don't have deep understanding of the deep inner workings of internet traffic.
Use OpenVPN, it's easiest to setup. Once you get the hang of it, it takes mere minutes to do.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Use OpenVPN, it's easiest to setup. Once you get the hang of it, it takes mere minutes to do.
Yes, that is one thing I’ve done since I bought my RT-AC68U over 6 years ago. I’ve also been using Merlin on it since the beginning. But I still don’t have a super deep understanding of networking. Setting up OpenVPN is easy.

Just never heard of Stunnel before.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

that is a new updated video just put out a few weeks ago. That is good.

I dropped stunnel as soon as I purchased asus. Much easier to setup openvpn. You have to install the openvpn app and with stunnel no need but still not a big deal to do that extra step.