TCCA cable for a POE outdoor camera at 30 meters

lxa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i'm raplacing an old IP camera outside of my house, connected with a 30 meters TCCA cat 5e cable, providing only data transmission.
Since i would like to use POE, and since CCA cables are considered evil (packet loss, cams broken, fire hazard....), do you know if Tinned Copper Clad Aluminum are better than simple CCA and can be used with POE (in a range, let's say, 0-50 meters)? Or is it better that i keep using a dedicated power supply?
Many thanks!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, i'm raplacing an old IP camera outside of my house, connected with a 30 meters TCCA cat 5e cable, providing only data transmission.
Since i would like to use POE, and since CCA cables are considered evil (packet loss, cams broken, fire hazard....), do you know if Tinned Copper Clad Aluminum are better than simple CCA and can be used with POE (in a range, let's say, 0-50 meters)? Or is it better that i keep using a dedicated power supply?
Many thanks!!
Avoid any CAT cable (5, 5e, 6, 6a, 7, etc) that is NOT pure solid (not stranded) copper conductor.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's for long fixed runs.
Stranded is the preferred for patch leads.
He stated 30 m which is almost 98 feet....and it's OUTDOORS, he stated....both in the first line of his post. I wouldn't term 98 feet outdoors a patch lead. I would also consider a run to an IP camera a "fixed run." Lastly, he said he's considering the cable to possibly be as long as 50 meters (164 feet).

You can certainly use what you recommended if you like and you can recommend what you care to....I stand behind my recommendation and offer no correction to it. :cool:

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
He stated 30 m which is almost 98 feet....and it's OUTDOORS, he stated....both in the first line of his post. I wouldn't term 98 feet outdoors a patch lead. I would also consider a run to an IP camera a "fixed run." Lastly, he said he's considering the cable to possibly be as long as 50 meters (164 feet).

You can certainly use what you recommended if you like and you can recommend what you care to....I stand behind my recommendation and offer no correction to it. :cool:
I wasn't correcting you.

Bunch of touchy motherfuckers on this site.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't correcting you.

Bunch of touchy motherfuckers on this site.
Now it's YOU that's getting touchy.
You missed the point of this thread, started by someone asking a question.
I answered with what I though was good info to try and help the OP.
You also answered which is your right and guess what....the OP reads your answer and I rebutted because I disagree with what you stated and BTW, it sure as Hell sounded like a correction to me.
I stated WHY I recommended what I did (length, application, etc.) so the OP can make his own informed decision.

Take a chill pill, man. :wtf:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
do you know if Tinned Copper Clad Aluminum are better than simple CCA and can be used with POE (in a range, let's say, 0-50 meters)? Or is it better that i keep using a dedicated power supply?
My first question is why does tinned CCA network cable even exist? Tin is a worse conductor than both copper and aluminum, so it doesn't help much for conductivity. The only benefit I'm aware of is that the tin does not corrode or oxidize at anywhere near the rate of copper, making for better mechanical and solder connections. RJ45s and keystone jacks pierce any corrosion layer and form a gas-tight connection, so I see no point or benefit whatsoever in tin plated network wires. Stated more directly: My opinion is that tin plated CCA offers no benefit over simple CCA for network wiring.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Hoping not to pick a fight, why is stranded wire not acceptable for long and/or permanent runs? The electrical properties of the stranded and solid wire should be identical. The solid wire should cost less to manufacture, the stranded wire won't work with punchdown terminations, and there might be some cases where the rigidity of the solid wire is a benefit. But if the run is terminated on both ends with proper RJ45s and mechanical support of the cable isn't an issue, what's worse about using stranded cable? Is it maybe as simple as the rating of the jacket (cmr, cmx, etc.).

lxa

n3wb
Reaction score
I knew no one would have told me "just use the CCA cable" ;)
So i bought 50mt of Hikvision pure copper cable POE+ compliant.
Now all I need is the will to change it :p