TeamViewer, ZeroTier and TailScale - Remote Connection To BI Server

Reaction score
For those of you that are familiar with these apps, do you know if they will conflict with one another? Can you have all three running at the same time on the BI server?

This is why I ask:

We travel in our RV 3-5 trips a year for at least 4 weeks at a time. I like to check on my cams 2-3 times a day from my laptop in the RV through a cellular hotspot (had old Verizon and newer ATT) and occasionally using the BI iPhone app on my iPhone when I am not at the RV. When I first started out here at IPCAMTALK, I learned about TeamViewer and got it to work well on my laptop. Then I found out about ZeroTier and used it on the laptop and the iPhone. I like that I can use UI3 on my laptop though ZeroTier.

The ZeroTier connection was great for a few years now. But we had our RV broken into at the storage yard and they stole the hotspots. So I bought a new Verizon one. It worked fine for the first few days of our Xmas trip, but then I had days of not getting a connection. I thought that it might be the old laptop from 2016 and bought a new one (really like it!). That worked out well for the first few days on a trip in January, and then had more trouble not getting a connection. Noticed that the hotspot (Inseego) would keep posting that a new WIFI connection was made but the number of connections stayed the same. So it looked like the hotspot was dropping the connection and bringing it up again.

Bought an ATT hotspot (Netgear) and tested that out for two weeks with not a single no connection. This past week had to go to NOLA and the first day and a half all was fine. Then on Wednesday would not connect to BI via laptop or iPhone. I knew my home network was OK since the laptop would connect to my NAS. Figured that the BI PC crapped out, but I could see it on the ZeroTier page as updating every minute. So I figured BI had aborted, especially since I could not connect to BI from the iPhone either. When I got home, BI was fine, running like a champ. Even though the ZeroTier app seemed to be running, I reran it on the BI PC but still could not connect. Restarted BI and still would not connect. Rebooted the BI PC and now it would connect! I imagine that the ZeroTier process was hung? And rebooting cleared it all up?

Now I am thinking that I need a way to reboot the server remotely. Should be able to do it via RDP through ZeroTier, but if ZeroTier was the issue, then that would not work. Tried to log in with TeamViewer, but they have changed some things and it sends you an email to verify that you are on a trusted device. But I never get that email. Have yet to reconcile that issue.

That brings me to TailScale as another option to log in to that pesky BI server when ZeroTier won't do it. But can you run both at the same time? Any thoughts on this?

Sorry for such a long post to ask a simple question.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have Zerotier and Tailscale loaded upon boot on several PCs with no conflict. From time to time one will temporarily not want to play right so the other provides backup. No problems using RealVNC/TightVNC or Splashtop either. Zerotier has given more temporary problems for me.

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using tailscale . I also setup a subnet router on my synology Nas for tailscale. If you know how to ssh then I would suggest that option.
It's working fine for me. I can access each cam as well as BI