Tenvis Cameras

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello
I got 3 Tenvis cameras running at the moment and I've been happy with them but I recently bought another newer version and the software is really bad rendering the camera virtually useless for what I want, It's unusual for an upgraded product to be worse than the previous. I mainly want good motion detection and pictures sent to my email. Shall I stick with Tenvis or change brands ? HIKVISION seems popular on here

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What models do you have?
Are you using the cameras alone or with some nvr software? Tenvis is a junk brand like foscam, wanscam etc..Look at Hikvision and Dahua

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a 391W outdoor and two 3815W's and my recent purchase was a 391W-HD
I just use the cameras with their own firmware/software. They have been reliable for 3 years even the 3815W's which are indoor models are outside in sheltered positions.
My needs are -emails on movement detection, remote viewing over the internet-this works fine with the older Tenvis and I get five 50k pictures per email which is enough to capture the event-the new 391W just sends one 500k image which doesn't capture the event and the motion detection is too sensitive so would fill your inbox and server pretty quick with junk empty pictures.

I want to install a couple of cameras at the home of an elderly relative , I have supply voltage so don't need PoE but they need to be wireless connected to the router and be viewable over the net.

The Tenvis will send an email informing of any URL change so no need for a fixed IP or DDNS which is a nice feature.

I tried to view the new Tenvis with I Spy software but it won't work and this requires a PC to be on all the time

Thanks for the reply
:)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you need pan tilt functionality? or would a fixed wide angle camera work. Take a look at the hikvision 2432 cube camera. Its pretty stable over wifi, (you will have to reduce the resolution to about 1-2mp because 3mp over wifi is a no go). If you order it with a 2.8mm lens you will get a nice wide angle to cover a full room.

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your info fenderman !
No I don't need PTZ and I'll probably fit two for more area coverage
Is there anyway to have a look at the Hikvision software ? and do all the Hikvision cameras have the same software ?

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most of them (at least the popular models priced from 100-300) run the same firmware. Member @networkcameracritic has done an extensive review of the 2432 (4mm version) with lots of screen shots. http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2236
Good info
The 2432 seems to run about $110 on aliexpress which seems good value
I like the PIR feature which as NCC points out is more reliable than motion detect-perfect
Also I'm looking into the PoE option with those neat adapters and I may upgrade my own network to use PoE hubs so long as non PoE devices can be plugged in and run as normal ?
Thanks