Terminate outside ethernet on new build

Reaction score
Hi, I'm building a new home and had a low voltage contractor pre-wire the house planning for 6 outdoor POE cameras. I'm not ready to make the camera investment yet and would prefer to do maybe a few at a time while I build my whole home system after we move in. Right now the cat6 is just sticking out of the siding. I can't image the electrical inspector is going to like that. Any recommendations on how to terminate those outside? Inside drops I'm not using yet for network/speaker/etc are easy enough to cover with a blank face plate. I can't think of a good way to do it outside. Thanks for any advice!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You could install a junction box, terminate the cable inside it and then mount the cam on top of the junction box? Some people don't like junction boxes but all my cams are mounted on a junction box and with the Duhua box being the exact same size as the 5231-ze cams I have it looks OK but does obviously bring the cams further out from the wall by the depth of the box.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
The correct box will fit the cam AND protect the cam's pigtail from the elements AND allow a small 3/8" hole for the cable vs. a 3/4" or larger hole for the pigtail if no box.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would ask your installer and then contact your local inspection office to confirm or make recommendations. In some locations, CAT5/6 installations are not on the inspection list. I know they make gel-filled wire nuts for low-voltage wires, but don't know if they make them big enough for CAT6.

Last edited:

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would get smallest lightest general purpose junction box from Home Depot something like pictured below (+cover) and stuff the wire inside. You could probable even get away with attachIng by silicone or caulking alone for the time being as your not really holding anything substantial. and then you’re not tied to a brand/camera/model/size (dahua or hikvision) box and not putting any more holes. Only a few bucks...1591892165279.jpeg

Reaction score
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. The installer is going to put a single gang box on each. Not the prettiest solution, but I'm not sure what else can be done. Low voltage is on the inspection list, but I think how much they care depends on the inspector. I'm leaning towards going with Ubiquiti cameras because I'm already using their networking gear. Hopefully they can mount to the box or at least cover the holes they make for the box. Initially wanted to roll my own w/ dahua and blue iris but the one thing I'm short on these days is time :)