Test rig question - Camera hanging from ceiling

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After reading and some recommendations from pro looks like it is a good idea to set up a test rig before pulling the cables. Like how others have mentioned, I will get a 5 gallon bucket with some rocks , dumbells and may be water softener pellets to hold the bucket. I plan to get a 6 foot 2 X4, my first camera would be hanging on edge of garage door, so the camera will the hung from the top. If I use the rig, I am thinking I would just nail another 4 inches of 2 X 4 wood horizontally and mount the camera on it? Does that make sense?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You should be able to just mount the camera to the 4" side of the 2x4. It's only a temporary mount so long term durability isn't really a problem as long as it's securely attached.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should be able to just mount the camera to the 4" side of the 2x4. It's only a temporary mount so long term durability isn't really a problem as long as it's securely attached.
I have never done this before so i might be asking a dumb question. I am trying to mimic a close set up like how i would actually mount this camera. I will be using a junction box , the way you described wouldn't the camera be vertical vs horizontal ( when mounted using junction box)?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't understand that. Sure, just hang another short piece of 2x4 out at the approximate height you're anticipating for final installation and have at it. If you're using a turret, or a bullet for that matter, it's not really needed since both will rotate/articulate to the appropriate view angles.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't understand that. Sure, just hang another short piece of 2x4 out at the approximate height you're anticipating for final installation and have at it. If you're using a turret, or a bullet for that matter, it's not really needed since both will rotate/articulate to the appropriate view angles.
Thanks. I plan to get this one IPC-T5442T-ZE

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got a turret mounted vertically, and a bunch mounter horizontally. It's no problem to mount vertically and rotate the housing and ball to whatever angle is needed.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After reading and some recommendations from pro looks like it is a good idea to set up a test rig before pulling the cables. Like how others have mentioned, I will get a 5 gallon bucket with some rocks , dumbells and may be water softener pellets to hold the bucket. I plan to get a 6 foot 2 X4, my first camera would be hanging on edge of garage door, so the camera will the hung from the top. If I use the rig, I am thinking I would just nail another 4 inches of 2 X 4 wood horizontally and mount the camera on it? Does that make sense?
Feel free to share a picture of the test rig you end up using @S0619212

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I used a "foot" on the bucket end of the 2x4, a short piece of 2x8, to increase the stability quite a bit. I'm betting samplenhold did something like that with that massive test setup, just to be safe. Oh wait, he uses a step ladder and clamps instead if memory serves me right.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Below are pics of the test rig I used. A variation based on the suggestions offered on this forum. Very helpful.

We spent hours testing in day and night conditions first with a variable lens bullet (turret wasn't available at the time). Then acquired a 6mm turret and retested again. Then got a 3.6m turret and did more testing to confirm. In the end it was all worth it and time well spent. The fact that you're taking your time and asking about doing this is a first good step in the right direction. Advice on this forum from the gurus is always spot on.

I had all the materials on-hand so best to adapt to what you have before buying. You can't go wrong with a 2x4 or 2x3 post.
The metal pole was for a pending fencing repair project and the mounted board made it easy to fine tune the heights by sliding the board up/down and hand tightening the nuts.
In some locations/positions, you have to jig something up to adapt. Speed clamps help in stabilizing the rig if you need to omit the bucket and just go with the post solo.

You can use Dahua's SmartPSS program for testing. Quick to setup and figure out.
I used a laptop and an existing homemade 25ft Cat 5e patch cable so the laptop could be indoors or in the garage.
Also had a single port POE available and a 5-port switch. You will need a POE or a power supply for the camera. A single port POE is always helpful to have around.

Having your significant other help in the effort is worthwhile even if it means you have to wash dishes for a month :rolleyes:

Post some pics and/or videos when you do your testing and get advice from this forum before buying all your gear and drilling holes.
I guarantee you someone will tell you your camera is too high. ;)

Good luck!

test rig 01.JPGtest rig 02.JPGtest rig 03.JPGtest rig 04.JPGtest rig 05.JPGtest rig 06.JPGtest rig 07.JPG

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Below are pics of the test rig I used. A variation based on the suggestions offered on this forum. Very helpful.

We spent hours testing in day and night conditions first with a variable lens bullet (turret wasn't available at the time). Then acquired a 6mm turret and retested again. Then got a 3.6m turret and did more testing to confirm. In the end it was all worth it and time well spent. The fact that you're taking your time and asking about doing this is a first good step in the right direction. Advice on this forum from the gurus is always spot on.

I had all the materials on-hand so best to adapt to what you have before buying. You can't go wrong with a 2x4 or 2x3 post.
The metal pole was for a pending fencing repair project and the mounted board made it easy to fine tune the heights by sliding the board up/down and hand tightening the nuts.
In some locations/positions, you have to jig something up to adapt. Speed clamps help in stabilizing the rig if you need to omit the bucket and just go with the post solo.

You can use Dahua's SmartPSS program for testing. Quick to setup and figure out.
I used a laptop and an existing homemade 25ft Cat 5e patch cable so the laptop could be indoors or in the garage.
Also had a single port POE available and a 5-port switch. You will need a POE or a power supply for the camera. A single port POE is always helpful to have around.

Having your significant other help in the effort is worthwhile even if it means you have to wash dishes for a month :rolleyes:

Post some pics and/or videos when you do your testing and get advice from this forum before buying all your gear and drilling holes.
I guarantee you someone will tell you your camera is too high. ;)

Good luck!

View attachment 71798View attachment 71799View attachment 71800View attachment 71801View attachment 71802View attachment 71803View attachment 71804
Nice. Thanks this helps. Is that mounted without the junction box or with the box?

Reaction score
Oh wait, he uses a step ladder and clamps instead if memory serves me right.
Yup.

Wow, I like that idea! Setting the height is always a pain.

Is that mounted without the junction box or with the box?
No need to use a junction box in testing.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks this helps. Is that mounted without the junction box or with the box?
Samplenhold answered that question correctly. He wears that guru hat very well! :)

The primary purpose of the junction box is so keep your cable connections housed in a waterproof enclosure. Plus you may want to reduce the hole size drilled. To get the connector end through a wall you need at least a 5/8" hole. Cat5/6 cable much less. The junction box can also lower the camera if you're hanging it from eaves and that can be helpful. I ordered a junction box for all five cameras and ended up only using one. If you plan on getting multiple cameras, buy one variable lens (2-12mm) type camera to start or a 6mm lens cam and hold off on the junction boxes until you order more cameras unless you've finalized all those install details ahead of time. We thought we did, but then they changed as we made improvements.

When you do your testing, think about the feasibility of where you're going to mount the camera and also aesthetics. Get buy-in from your significant other on your plans. Sometimes that optimal spot isn't going to look very good and you need to make compromises or getting cabling to that location is too evasive.

Your initial testing will determine proper lens size and ballpark mounting locations providing the required coverage. Also keep in mind lighting conditions day and night. It's good to have at least one camera that gives you that money shot with a low full face image, not a top of the hat image. There are many elements to determine when testing. Just take one step at a time and be patient.

Is there a WIKI for camera testing? Should be. Volunteers?

Last edited:

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All right so finally I was able to put a test rig. I stole ideas from few people here and came up with something :). Attached pics.

I used a telescopic height adjustable pole, it can extend from 6 feet to 16 feet. Took 2 2.5 lbs weight plates and put the pole on center of two plates to be able to stay in position. Took 2 10lb dumbles and put against the pole in criss cross way to hold the pole . Took a pegboard small square shape pegboard, mounted cam on it and then used 4 good quality zip ties to tie the pegboard to the pole. Zip tie slides a little bit if you try to pull it down, other than that it has been OK so far.

Attachments