Texas ERCOT Power - Round 2

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong at the State level Texas isn’t connected to the national grid like the other 49 States correct? Also, any possibility of that ever happening to allow a measure of fail over / redundancy?
That's my understanding. ERCOT is on its own grid separate from the national grid. Lubbock was getting its power from the Southwest Power Pool, which is not a part of ERCOT. 70% of Lubbock customers were recently switched over to ERCOT from the Southwest Power Pool. The other 30% will be switched over from the Southwest Power Pool to ERCOT in 2023.

The power goes off for a brief period of time as the switchover occurs at each substation. Hopefully, nothing electronic gets fried at my house when the switchover happens next year. I'll pay close attention and turn off the master power switch at my house before the switchover happens at a nearby substation.

Last edited:

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is how the rolling black-outs happen. The lights go off. Then the lights come on. We had no warning, nada nothing!
The cold was not so bad but, this 100-110 F tends to be killer. Sell me some more pipe dream EV oh yes, maybe some more trillions on
Fusion crap too.

Yes, our precious wind generators ain't gonna make "no" power today, there's NO WIND!!!
After having perhaps the windiest first half of a year in my entire lifetime, the winds have almost ceased. We sure have some dimwits running the energy show.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We've had nuclear power since the 50's. We would have other things to worry about if our smart leaders used nuclear to transition away from coal. Wind and solar output is a joke..

From what I've read about the big freeze and loss of power is the low temperature made natural gas plants inoperable. This is why my generator is propane and gasoline...
I've been to South Texas Project (STP - Houston) and Comanche Peak (TXU/Luminant - Glen Rose, Granburg) several time about 25 years ago, are they still in operation? I thought they were looking at a couple new reactors at CP, maybe the Japan incident squashed that.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been to South Texas Project (STP - Houston) and Comanche Peak (TXU/Luminant - Glen Rose, Granburg) several time about 25 years ago, are they still in operation? I thought they were looking at a couple new reactors at CP, maybe the Japan incident squashed that.
I know they have made a couple in the last ten years. I just don't know the full extent of it. Before I made a career change a year ago I worked with a lot travelors that worked on Nuclear jobs and I'd hear about them.