Text alerts nightime

aka009

n3wb
Reaction score
Audio transcribe to text.

I am blind and having very hard time using proprietary software engineered by my son using surveillance cameras to relay audio to help me around the house.

Some of the cameras are inside to let me know if there is any motion by audio.

I haven't been able to find good instructions to help guide my son who is 11 different son in setting up alerts.

I found some videos but they were from 2017 and didn't match up with software.

I am trying to setup text message alerts which will trigger audio and uv light for night time only.

Can someone explain how to do this.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
ludshed's video is a great option if that solution is all that you need. It is certainly easy to set up and works very well. Not only do NVRs typically have these GPIO "alarm outputs", many cameras have these GPIO "alarm outputs" directly on the camera as well.

That being said, if that solution won't work in your case or you need something more "advanced", I have another possible solution.......MQTT.

MQTT is a automation protocol created in 1999 for the oil and gas industry. However because it is so efficient and easy to use, it has been adopted by a lot of different manufacturers. BlueIris supports MQTT and therefore it is possible for the software to send out messages based on motion, audio, etc.

The unknown element here is the "other side", ie the other devices that you are trying to trigger. There are certainly smart devices (lights, plugs, etc) that support MQTT as well. This means it is relatively easy to turn a light on/off via an MQTT command, etc. I am not quite as sure about how to handle a "sound" being played simply because I don't know what device you want to audio to come out of. There are plenty of options however. For example, it's possible to set up Alexa devices to play back audio messages using MQTT (assuming that Amazon hasn't blocked this ability) and Home Assistant. This type of system is certainly more complicated than using the GPIO "alarm outputs" , but it can also provide much more flexible results.

aka009

n3wb
Reaction score
Audio transcribe to text.

Thank you for response.

I will have one of my sons look over this and see if he or his brother can make it work.