Thank You

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a 24 port POE. A killer for sure and here the next day.
It was a "garage Sale " item etc. I laughed when I opened the outer
box as the rip in the top came from a fork lift. I laughed and giggled as
there was only some small crease in the top lid WHO CARES! WORKS PERFECT!

Now why the laughing one might ask? One of my many "jobs" I have done was working
in the freight industry. I even received union experience, I digress.

One day at work I watched a fellow worker load a 2500 Lb. battery on top of a pallet of
"Big Screen Tvs", LG, so make it real expencive tvs! Well, to make a long story longer,
the battery did set on the tvs. Smiling and bragging as the IDIOT backed out with the
unloaded fork lift, the battery rested for about 20 seconds until the tvs were crushed,
the battery hit the floor, ruptured and spilled acid all over the now bubbling floor!

Great products FAST shipping!!

Gary....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that anyone that has spent even a relatively short time working in various jobs as they climbed the labor ladder has witnessed similar acts of just plain stupidity.
Right out of high school in '67, before active duty in '70 and before a career that began in '73 and lasted over 31 years in the same field, I got to join the life experiences effort.

I silk-screened window signs for a warehouse that delivered to co-op grocery stores, delivered plumbing supplies including cast iron bath tubs, unloaded 'fridges, washers and dryers off of H-U-G-E railway cars by hand and with a forklift, sacked groceries, stocked shelves and mopped and buffed floors in a large supermarket and performed several tasks in a local beer brewery (inspection, cleaning, unpacking, etc.).

I'd love to have the money it cost to replace or repair the items I saw damaged by carelessness, negligence and wanton stupidity during that time...I'd be living very comfortably!

An aside note about that career ladder and its dividends:
It worked out well in that I already had forklift experience that I needed when I was aboard the aircraft carrier that I was assigned to. And when I arrived at the carrier's port I had missed the ship (it was on a maintenance cruise off shore) and was assigned to work in a fleet commander's office during the day and sleep in the base barracks at night for a couple of days. The first class yeoman there smirked to himself when he had me mop then wax and buff the floors with big electric floor buffer, thinking that the buffer was going to fling my skinny, 130 pound ass all over the marble floors outside the captains' and admirals' offices. To their dismay I was maneuvering that buffer with the fingertips of one hand like a pro, to and fro, wall to wall. I played that buffer like a concert piano. Learned that from the 2 year stint at the grocery store while in high school....it all counts. Makes us what we are down the road.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was thinking about this. To me it comes down to being one of three things; an expert, a generalist or ignorant. Given my life experiences I think I'm a generalist, know a little bit about a lot of things. I'm good at many things from carpentry, masonry, electronics, and a long list of other things but not really an expert in any of them. It all comes down to using what I know, knowing what I don't know mixed with common sense, and finding an expert when I'm stuck. I'm happy with that.

Last edited:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Stand there as a 51 yo casual and look to un-stack and move 135 235/75R17 truck tires.
Nascar tires could be flung with ease. I did a trailer full for Texas Motor Speedway.
Makes one appreciate those dudes that hand stack containers with boxes by the shipload.

Last edited: