That's one way to get down the road.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
Holy crap this brought back memories of 1982, Great Falls MT. was there with my sis and her husband, he was in the Air Force, I was there right around Christmas and there was snow and ice everywhere, well we went to drive his pickup to the store and got 2 blocks away and the truck decided it didn't want to go anymore, apparently his brakes froze over, so he ended up driving back to the house in reverse with his 4 ways on, if I wasn't in the truck that day I wouldn't have believed him telling my sis about it.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It does remind me of the time my girl friend (now my wife) and I went to the drive in movie in my 1958/59 Edsel. It was actually a 1958 demonstrator so had some of the new features of the 1959. It had this electrically operated push button transmission shifting stuff in the middle of the steering wheel with about 40 miles of wiring and solenoids and relays galore. Anyway, movie ended and we get ready to go home. Started the car, hit the "D" button and . . . and . . . nothing. I spend 20 minutes pounding the buttons and cursing when finally it went into reverse. I had to drive the 15 miles home to my house in reverse. There I picked up my mom's car and drove my girl friend back to her house. The most irritating thing about the whole experience was the next morning I was showing my dad what it was doing, and the (&^^#&^&* thing worked perfectly.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ha! great story.
My first car was a 1964 Push Button Dodge Dart... geesh that seems like a long time ago ;)

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Ha! great story.
My first car was a 1964 Push Button Dodge Dart... geesh that seems like a long time ago ;)
A friend of mine had the same car when we were teen aged new drivers. It had bald radials on it, so it squealed when you were cornering in a very conservative way, too.

We referred to it as the "fart". Still, we had fun in it!

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
My first car was a 74 mustang hatchback v6, damn thing had bad floats in the carb and died every 2 miles, had to let it set then start it up and drive again, When I first got it i had no license, just a permit, and I was bringing it home around 9pm or so and it died, and while waiting a damn motorcycle cop pulls up, luckily he he didn't check my license.
Next day bought a new carb and was on my way, best 100.00 I had ever spent on my car. Year 1984 right after I got out of basic from Ft. Leonard Wood Mo.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do have one more Edsel story. Our next door neighbor owned a road construction company, and once my dad and I were working for him on a project about 200 miles to the south of Albuquerque (where we lived at the time). One night I was driving back to Albuquerque in that old Edsel and I got about half way back and blew a radiator hose. So here I am in the dark of night on a road with no other cars at like 1 or 2 AM. The engine overheat light comes on, of course, so I decided to get as far as I could so I floored the gas pedal. When I got up to 85-90 mph, the overheat light went off?!?!? Being a young and dumb teenager I thought . . . Kool, so I kept on going. I drove another hundred miles to the edge of town, shut down the engine, and coasted into a small truck stop where I called my dad for help. We put a new hose on, filled it with water, and it was as good as new again.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Xeddog
Shoulda bought a Chev. :winktongue: :headbang:
Interesting name ya got there 58chev. I did have a Chevy. and a '58 to boot. A DelRay though. The only options were a 283 V8 and a AM radio. I put a lot of miles on that car, and I was the driver when it got hit hard. Four of us guys were all staying at each others for the night, and we went driving. At about 2:30 AM a guy was leaving a bar and nailed us good while we were at a stoplight. None of us received as much as a bruise, but the car was hit hard enough that it knocked the gas tank out of it, and it wound up under the front of the 61 Plymouth that hit us. He was the only one injured when tried to take a big ol bite outta the steering wheel.

And then there was my friend Ron that had a BEAutiful 58 Chevy Impala Convertible. I have vivid memories of it being white with a red interior, but I contacted him recently and he said it was red with white interior.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting name ya got there 58chev. I did have a Chevy. and a '58 to boot. A DelRay though. The only options were a 283 V8 and a AM radio.
Nice, Mine is a DelRay also. :D
Well the badging says it is, but I've been told that it has too many options to be one. Chrome trim on doors, deluxe heater, clock. Some say it is/was a Biscayne.
Came with a 327 SBC.