The best budget PTZ these days?

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been on the search for the best valued budget PTZ, I found the popular thread for the Dahua SD49225XA-HNR (and 4MP upgrade) and was hoping it would fulfill all my needs but it seems to not be the case (mechanical/hardware issues, disabling of autotracking, loss of presets, etc.)?

I'm wondering if I should even still consider the mentioned model (the 4MP version) or if there's a better alternative? Here's my wish list:
  • Quick and reliable PTZ movements and presets
  • Able to go to a preset from fixed Dahua spotter camera trigger
  • Great daytime image quality, Very good night time image quality with 60M+ IR capabilities
  • 12X optical zoom minimum (20X+ preferred)
  • 2MP/1080p bare minimum resolution (4MP+ preferred)
  • Priced $400 or below (maybe up to $500 if it's something truly special)
  • Autotracking - I've determined it's not even worth hoping for in this budget? I'm fine with great preset capabilities from a rule from the camera itself (when zoomed out) or from a spotter.
  • Compatible with a Dahua NVR (And IMOU app)
I'm even considering alternative manufacturers if they provide the above (especially hikvision). Any suggestions?

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Watching with interest. I, too, would be interested in an "affordable" PTZ camera suitable for outdoor use. My requirements are somewhat more modest than @ip_poe's, and my budget significantly lower. (No more than around $250.) Heck, my Reolink C1 Pro satisfies many of my requirements, but it's not that great a camera and I don't like the way it behaves on my LAN. Nor is it outdoor capable. But if Reolink can do what that camera does for under $100, I'd think somebody must be able to make something at two to two-and-a-half times as much that can give me what I want.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
The Dahua SD1A203T-GN might be a bit underpowered for me but "cheap" it is. I'm only putting it in this thread for someone looking for "cheap" but good CMOS. Interested in what you find that satisfies your requirements.

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I suggest the Value Series 4 MP Indoor/Outdoor 25× Network IR PTZ Camera
Very nice, I haven't seen that one before :) Looks excellent from what I can tell

So you got it for $400 shipped through that seller? And you're sure it's OEM US-Version Hikvision and takes the US firmware updates? I've been burned by the hacked Chinese to English version Hikvision's in the past :/
How long did it take to get it? It looks like it's on back order currently too.

Do you know if all the features work on a dahua NVR?
Do you know if it can respond to trigger events from another camera (specifically from a dahua camera/NVR)?

Last edited:

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its original international version of Hikvision. Not OEM or knock of brand Chinese crap. And yes I got it for under $400 shipped to US under 2 weeks.

As for using it with a Dahua NVR I have no clue of the capabilities. I only use my PTZ with a Hikvision NVR which works seamlessly.

Reaction score
I would stick with the same camera model as the NVR, for seamless operation. I use blue iris and a computer for my new system build, and i still prefer to use all the same brand cameras. Although I purchased one ipcamtalk camera and it is a Hikvision camera and it works great in my build. I would ask EMPIRETECANDY who is a vendor here, to send you a list of refurbished cameras he has. I purchased my PTZ sd49225t-hn from him at a fraction of the cost because it was a refurbished camera. It woks great for my situation. But i am not asking much of my camera. You can email him and ask for a current list.