The Blue Iris service failed to start (5)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Put the Alerts and DB on your C: drive. Put the video clips in the New folder on WD 8TB drive. Do not use the stored folder or set the size to zero. If you are continuous recording from all cameras then increase the cluster size when you format the drive.

The SSD may have problems with the Video writes. The BI help comment was from the old days. Video writes from multiple cameras put a very high strain on the recording devise. The last thing you want to have happen is kill your C drive.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have my "NEW" on a nas and looking for some better performance I want to move \\nas\blueiris\new to the Local Disk D:\blueiris\new (for example) When I change that path to use the new location Any scrubs to older clip's all Fail I can see the New Clips created I can see them in the web browser I can see them in the folder but any clicking on them resulted in Multiple errors and web interface shut down. SOOOOoooooo my question is what is the correct method to moving to a new path a new nas, do you have to copy all the files from the old location to the new location then repoint? thought the DB would remember where each clip was stored but I guess this is not the case>?
thanks for anything that might pick up this question.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Copy the files over and then rebuild the DB, you will lose markers to existing alerts though but the clips should then be playable.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Copy the files over and then rebuild the DB, you will lose markers to existing alerts though but the clips should then be playable.
So I would need to copy everything from Existing Location to New Location, Change the path in 'Clips and archiving' then rebuild DB? Some how I thought the DB would remember previous location I have done all this but never rebuilt the dB so that's probably why the web interface gags out with errors.
thank you very much for the reply will try this too day.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
one quick question I find conflicting answers, would it not be better for all "NEW" to be on a local disk and just use a \\nas\path for archiving?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want to archive the clips then yes you could use New for the new clips and then also setup Stored to point to the NAS, then setup New to move the clips to Stored.

I personally don’t bother as moving clips can be CPU intensive hogging the CPU until the clip has been moved and that will depend on the speed that your NAS can write data. My Buffalo NAS peaks at 20Mb so quite slow.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Don’t move clips around on the same drive as there’s no point.

Use either New or Stored and point it to the D drive, set it up to fill the entire drive except maybe 10%, disable any age related options and just let BI manage the space..
Everything you suggested worked, I have the "NEW" moved rebuilt the DB was the key. I got most my clips back but no alerts and no Sentry alerts. The one thing that is odd is when on the web page I don't get any "Streaming Quality" options its all set to JPEG now where before I could choose 780p