The fabled micro HD IP camera.... Does this exist?

dingking

n3wb
Reaction score
Please help me work out whether I'm going mad. I'm looking for a very small IP camera (module only, no casing) which can record to SD at HD and stream ok. Hours of research tell me the only options are:

1) the 100s of near identical cheap Chinese "spy" cameras on Amazon and ebay. They are v small and some have decent 720p quality, but without fail they all use terrible apps with 1 star reviews which cannot reliably save a recording. None support ONVIF etc.

2) a Raspberry Pi Zero with a camera. But these can be nearly twice the size and in my tests the camera performs worse than option 1 especially in semi-lit conditions. Not sure about record to SD ability.

3) an esp32-cam, but this doesn't seem capable of recording HD video other than at tiny frame rates.

That seems to be it. There's nothing else small or DIY suitable for putting on a drone or a robot or anything else where size is paramount.

I'd settle for an option 1 with a reliable app.

Am I missing options? It doesn't have to be cheap and fine if it requires some technical ability to build or set up.

Thanks!

dingking

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. Those are pretty chunky compared to the option 1 cameras. Probably four times the size.