The Right NVR For My Needs?

brightnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've read a ton on this site the last couple weeks and picked my cameras (Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E) and microphones, but I need help picking a device to record all my footage. Everything will be run off a solar setup at a cabin off grid, so most likely 12V but I could do 24V if I really had too.

I need to run between 1-4 cameras at a time so I need a NVR with that many POE ports, IVS/Motion detection events with a pre-record period, and the ability to record in the full resolution of the Z12E cameras(1080). The cameras don't need to record continuously, only for motion events. I’d like to be able to swap hard drives to bring footage home to view, and leave fresh hard drive in the NVR. As I mentioned I might need to do it all from a 12V battery and solar panel array. Can someone suggest a NVR that might fit my needs? There are a lot of NVRs and I don't need the newest and best, just something that will work for my needs, doesn't use a lot of power, and can switch hard drives to view footage at home. Thanks in advance!

Extra Details: There will likely be a few hundred feet of Ethernet cable between the cameras and the NVR, the camera specs say it can handle that distance "Realizes full duplex transmission over 800 meters at the speed of 10Mbps, or 300 meters at the speed of 100Mbps via Cat 5 or coaxial cable media".