The Typical picture of a Perp on Nextdoor-type Apps with Consumer Grade Cameras like Ring, Nest, Arlo, Canary, Wyze, etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dang someone just posted this of someone they caught stealing their catalytic converter. They snapped a video of them with their cellphone of him walking over to their car and leaving. Hopefully they got the plates too.

HTF did he not get the $#!+ beat out of him.

1649903053887.png

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The reason I have no cell phone footage of the incidents I'm involved in is because I need both hands to handle the actual incident.

If someone is taking handheld video of crime happening, they aren't stopping crime. That's why I've got nothing on that incident last week where I stopped a guy that smashed out a window at the burger joint.

I need one of those body cams cops have. Does Andy sell those?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kid had his bike stolen from the front porch and parent posted the Ring video to NextDoor.

Couldn't be more than 5 feet away. Can you help ID the perp? This is about as bad as I have seen LOL. Clearly a bandwidth issue of the wifi for that pixelated mess.

1649971958606.png

Reaction score
Dang someone just posted this of someone they caught stealing their catalytic converter. They snapped a video of them with their cellphone of him walking over to their car and leaving. Hopefully they got the plates too.

HTF did he not get the $#!+ beat out of him.

View attachment 125147
Damn! When is that guy gonna retire from such hard, hazardous work??? Sheesh.

Reaction score
So my neighborhood and others around me were hit by a group of door checkers and a few had their window broken to get in. One was just around the corner from me. But they never came down my street, so I did not get any shots.

But here are the shots from all of the cams on Nextdoor.

0a49fc10ab852d67daf8400df1e60baf.jpeg54c429b8a879ad156f72ecf424149793.jpeg1110f485c1d97206ecda8d3bd9c0795e.jpeg6411bcac09c8ac1b3b5831414f24e2d7.jpeg6472c584984fc1c4f8992e3a85ff77b1.jpeg24871ec9cc434aa39a150d433cc01477.jpeg52856fe34861b939077075f5849a1b54.jpegc44f6b161fb1c7c14c582d6664c1f9d7.jpeg

Pretty crappy still from the videos that folks had. Can't even tell what kind of car they were in. Just that it is a small SUV/crossover.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - thanks for sharing LOL.

Similar to how we have the unofficial Reolink thread, I think we should use this as an unofficial consumer grade camera thread and have folks here post these kind of images of incidents they have in their NextDoor type app that we can point NOOB to as to this is what you can expect with a consumer grade cam - the ability to simply know what time it happened and nothing else.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think we should use this as an unofficial consumer grade camera thread and have folks here post these kind of images of incidents they have in their NextDoor type app that we can point NOOB to as to this is what you can expect with a consumer grade cam - the ability to simply know what time it happened and nothing else.
I agree. I thought that was why it was started.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the latest perp on Nextdoor with a Wyze camera LOL. Even with a better camera, it is too high and would only get top of ballcap.

View attachment 125139
..and they call it Wyze.....

Maybe not so Wise, at least at night on those settings.

Kid had his bike stolen from the front porch and parent posted the Ring video to NextDoor.

Couldn't be more than 5 feet away. Can you help ID the perp? This is about as bad as I have seen LOL. Clearly a bandwidth issue of the wifi for that pixelated mess.

View attachment 125228
Hmm, he Rings a Bell.

Sure he's been on Supernatural....

Reaction score

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 125228
Yeah I recognize him from Wolfenstein......the DOS version......

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Rack mount, server class? :rofl: How about a used business class desktop? How about an oldi7-6700K tower? Far from what you describe and always gets excellent IDENTIFCATION shots as opposed to RIng, cloud based, hope and pray, overpriced junk.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am on Ring Neighbors and the videos there look better than those posted here.

The writing is on the wall which cams sell better. Good luck selling in-home data centers (rack-mount, server-class hardware, powered switches, etc) to support home security cams.

See also Ring TV for a better representation of Ring cam videos.
You are welcome to post the stuff you see on Ring Neighbors as well. This thread is intended to show consumer grade quality cameras.

Keep in mind not everyone here has rack-mounted, server class hardware, nor are any of us trying to sell these "in-home data centers", we are simply pointing out that for the same price of many consumer grade cameras, one can get better quality.

I wouldn't exactly use Ring TV as a glowing example of their quality. Many of them are daytime shots (which most cameras can do well with) and anything close they digitize blur out the face, so we cannot tell for sure if the quality is good or not...

Even though they digitized the face, there is enough blur in the arms that I suspect one couldn't ID the perp:

1650292729023.png

Don't even need to comment about the blur or top of hoodie from this camera height install LOL:

1650292937270.png

Why even bother pixilating the face at that distance LOL:

1650293043687.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind not everyone here has rack-mounted, server class hardware, nor are any of us trying to sell these "in-home data centers", we are simply pointing out that for the same price of many consumer grade cameras, one can get better quality.

In fact many people here have quality Dahua OEM cameras and do not use an NVR or Blue Iris and simply use the DMSS app with SD cards in the cameras and at that point it is no different than sticking up a bunch of consumer grade cameras that work on the same idea. Now exposing the cameras to the internet, whether they are Ring or Axis or Dahua OEM or any of them are not a good idea, but people here have done that.

But most of us simply have an old computer being used as the "in-home data center" LOL - rack mounted and all that other stuff is a select few.

I think the example that @samplenhold provided a while back in this thread shows the difference in quality and that should negate the argument that you have to spend more than consumer grade prices to get quality images.

So they had a door checker one night in 2020.

@samplenhold is using IPC-HDW5231R-ZE which sold in the $150ish range, which has since been replaced with the 5442-ZE that sells for $190ish and here was his capture in a position similar to what his neighbor captured with a Ring:

1649041027948.png

Meanwhile his neighbor has the Ring system and his Ring Camera depending on the model ranges from $200 to $250. Here was his image when the perp rang across the street to his house:

1649041253123.png

Which camera do you think provides a better image - the "Top Shelf Advice" cameras we recommend at $150-190ish or the consumer grade Ring at $200-250ish?

Unless common core math has changed basic arithmetic, the Top Shelf advice camera is cheaper than the consumer grade camera and provides much better results....plus no annual fee that is needed with many of these consumer systems!

I can assure you the Arlo, Reolinks, Nest, etc. will be no better than Ring and probably a lot worse.

If I can get better quality and cheaper cost, that decision is a no-brainer...and that is the point of this thread. Instead of buying a $250 Ring Camera that produces quality like we see here and on this thread, one would be better off purchasing a $110 Dahua OEM varifocal and get much better quality. So start out small with just the Dahua OEM camera and the GMSS app which won't come with an annual fee like Ring and maybe someday one decides to add an NVR or BI to the mix.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I am on Ring Neighbors and the videos there look better than those posted here.
Good for you!

I have posted what my neighbors have posted. I have not picked and chose. The example of the shots that @wittaj posted of mine above shows the difference. The constables could not use the Ring video at all. They posted my still on their FB page and got an identification in less than a day. He was arrested. I have supplied lots of still and video footage to my constables and they come by and ask if I saw anything on my cams when something happens in my area.

I asked one of the deputies last week about some of the outcomes from my cams and she gave me specific instances where they helped out and ID'ed perps. I asked about all of the other folks that have video in the area and she told me that very rarely do those help out with more than a general description and time of action. She said that they are all Ring, Arlo, Nest etc and I am the only one here with good cams.

I have had people in my neighborhood ask me how do I get such good caps. I have even had one come by to look at my system. But in every instance they have decided that installing good cams and a dedicated PC for BI was just too much work. So they opted for the consumer grade stuff. Even the guy across the street that had the Ring video talked to me about it. He was pissed that he could not see the guys face and that the color of his clothing was off. But in the end what did he do? He bought two more Ring cams for his front porch. SMH.