Thermal cam to avoid light triggers?

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a thermal camera. My house has a short driveway, so at night, light from passing headlights is read as motion. At certain times of day, the shadows of people walking on the sidewalk fall into my zones and set off triggers. I could adjust the zones in my schedule settings for the shadows, but the headlights would still be a problem.

I'm thinking about getting a thermal camera, specifically a TPC-DF1241-S2. I read there were some troubles with the N version a year or so ago, but the latest reports seemed to say the non-N was reliable.

The questions are: 1, will a thermal camera solve my headlight triggering issues, and 2, is the TPC-DF1241-S2 a good camera for this purpose?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont know a lot about thermal cameras, other than the good ones are expensive.

But it sounds like your problem is you're using old fashioned Motion Detection. What camera model and NVR are you using??

Most of us using Dahua cameras use the AI IVS functions, tripwires, Intrusion zones, and car headlights wont trigger them. In fact false alarms of any type all but disappear. For the most part IVS does limit you to detection for humans or vehicles.

Last edited:

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I'm using motion zones with triggers on crossing from zone a to zone b.

I was assuming IVS would have the same trouble.

Cameras are Dahua 4k color, IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 boobie cam and VTO2202f-p door unit, all managed by Blue Iris.

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello
I tested the 2 and the Hikvision camera is much better, plugin compatible with all browsers. With the Dahua camera you have to use internet explorer... you can leave the detection area in the stream on the hikvision with Dahua not possible except using a Dahua NVR. The visible camera is better quality on the Hikvision, on the Dahua the sensor is not good. For the thermal range Hikvision is ahead of Dahua.

I have the Dahua and the Hikvision model at home for testing :

HikVision: DS-2TD1228-2/QA :

Dahua: DHI-TPC-DF1241 :

BICK