Thermal Camera? Yes, You Read That Right

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Seeing the potentiality of a Global Pandemic sometime in our lifetime, what's the cheapest Dahua thermal camera on the market? I think its appropriate to ask because the human population is increasing and many don't take the proper precaution and fail to follow basic guidelines especially in densely-packed areas where hygiene is in question and chances for infection to proliferate (from city centers to public transportation to college campuses to even the waiting rooms of hospitals / clinics).

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Arjun, do you want to measure temperatures with the thermal camera? Assuming so (that's typically what people are using thermal for regarding the pandemic), the issue is accuracy.

Normal security thermal IP cameras are not tuned to deliver precise temperature readings. And there is a lot of hype and confusion about which models and which setups will deliver accurate readings (i.e., does the person really have a 'fever' 38° C / 100.4° F temperature?).

We (IPVM) have a post on this that I unlocked Detecting Coronavirus Fevers With Thermal Cameras that should help provide you background on this practice.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah-ha, thanks John, Accuracy is definitely a concern :D

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This is definitely one of those too-good-to-be-true moments giving us false belief on this side of the world

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My personal experience with cheap thermal cameras ($200-$300) is that they are absolutely not accurate enough for medical purposes. You are likely to get readings in the 70-90°F ballpark depending on distance, air temperature, clothing worn, etc. They are 100% profiting from fear and ignorance in this situation.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've wanted one of these for years. What type of distance could a guy expect from the consumer grade priced ones?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@NickTheGreat I paid $277.49 USD for a FLIR TCX with an 80 x 60 resolution sensor, over 3 years ago. It has long-since been discontinued. You can still find it for sale around the internet and it is still the cheapest thermal IP camera you can buy, but I would not buy another today.

Hikvision and Dahua both have some thermal cams based on a 160x120 thermal sensor. They mostly sell as a hybrid cam that includes the thermal sensor and a regular 2MP starlight sensor within the same body. Be careful about the pricing if shopping for one. The CCTV industry enjoys some astonishingly high profit margins at the high-end due to customer ignorance. About $650 is as low as it gets for a 160x120 thermal hybrid, but you can easily find them for over $1000.