Thermal Cameras

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does it seem like a lot of businesses are getting thermal cameras now for "fever" detection? I see that the Hikvision version has DeepInView (AI) and can pinpoint the temperature of a person's forehead at a rate of 30 people at a time. Temperature accuracy is at 0.5 degrees Celsius (0.9 degrees Fahrenheit). Thing is at the price of around $5000 per camera it seems like a steep price for something to be used for a few months or until covid-19 is over. After that nobody would really care about someone with a high temperature. These cameras are not to be mounting on the ceiling or outdoors due to the angle and temperature variations. Why are these cameras selling so well lately then?

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Many companies are literally desperate to re-open (or stay open) and are looking for whatever means to help ensure customers and employees are confident enough to come to work and not be infected by coronavirus. Those systems are selling generally more than $5,000, e.g. the Dahua system (with blackbody) is selling in the $10,000 to $20,000 range (see the Amcrest discussion on IPCamTalk).

There's lot of restrictions and issues with doing temperature / 'fever' detection well and, for now, many people are ignoring that as the hope for seller to sell quick and buyers to get back to business is high.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many companies are literally desperate to re-open (or stay open) and are looking for whatever means to help ensure customers and employees are confident enough to come to work and not be infected by coronavirus. Those systems are selling generally more than $5,000, e.g. the Dahua system (with blackbody) is selling in the $10,000 to $20,000 range (see the Amcrest discussion on IPCamTalk).

There's lot of restrictions and issues with doing temperature / 'fever' detection well and, for now, many people are ignoring that as the hope for seller to sell quick and buyers to get back to business is high.

Hikvision version is around $5000. No blackbody needed. Without blackbody will get accuracy of 0.5 degrees C. With blackbody then will get 0.1 degrees C. FDA only requires 0.5 degrees. From what I see. $5000 for camera, tripod and tripod adapter. Will need either a Hikvision NVR or a computer with IVMS software to get it set up.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have already installed this solution in health centres (entrances of the hospitals and ICU) and its not so bad. There are some pitfalls thought, such as, if you walk into the area (usually indoor foyer) from outside whilst being in the sun, you need to have a cool down period before passing through the detector. I must admit the AI on the solution is cool as it gives the people count, face biometric access control and we have added a "spray chamber" that you walk through. All except (in my opinion) is not a true Covid19 prevention technique as there are many Asymptomatic people just walking around us oblivious of the fact that they are spreading the disease.

Nevertheless, I still appreciate that there is still work during these lockdown times.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
We've bought both the Hikvision model and the Hikvision blackbody and will be testing soon. We will see how well it does without the blackbody. We bought the Dahua one and are in the middle of testing.

@SamM what is the average temperature reading of people passing in that system and what temperature is set for alarm? For example, the Dahua is defaulted to alarm at 100.4F and average temperatures captured are in the ~97°F range.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision also has a access control/door station coming out that has the thermal camera built into it. It will get the temperature reading and is suppose to tell the person to put on a face mask if they are not wearing one. Can be set to unlock door if temperature is good and not if temperature is high.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We've bought both the Hikvision model and the Hikvision blackbody and will be testing soon. We will see how well it does without the blackbody. We bought the Dahua one and are in the middle of testing.

@SamM what is the average temperature reading of people passing in that system and what temperature is set for alarm? For example, the Dahua is defaulted to alarm at 100.4F and average temperatures captured are in the ~97°F range.
Hi
The average temperature is 34.5℃ = 97.5F
We used a black body so the operating efficiency/ accuracy is reduced ±0.3℃ which is still in my opinion not acceptable
Without that black body it is ±0.5℃ so this made us increase the high temp to 37.5℃ and low temp to 31.5℃

We are finding daily issues that so we are tweaking the solution.
Mounting height, detection zones, image capture for access.

We still need to do a study on false positives, but worse false negatives, however we have a Caviet that this is not a 100% solution as biological testing is required as well.

The access control devices are used at the speed gates for authorised staff.

20140411_075551.png

This is the reason that we have used the Hik Solution as it was easy to integrate the access logs into the clients HR system.

Let me know how your tests are coming along. Will be grateful if you can share your experiences, good and bad.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi
The average temperature is 34.5℃ = 97.5F
We used a black body so the operating efficiency/ accuracy is reduced ±0.3℃ which is still in my opinion not acceptable
Without that black body it is ±0.5℃ so this made us increase the high temp to 37.5℃ and low temp to 31.5℃

We are finding daily issues that so we are tweaking the solution.
Mounting height, detection zones, image capture for access.

We still need to do a study on false positives, but worse false negatives, however we have a Caviet that this is not a 100% solution as biological testing is required as well.

The access control devices are used at the speed gates for authorised staff.

View attachment 61022

This is the reason that we have used the Hik Solution as it was easy to integrate the access logs into the clients HR system.

Let me know how your tests are coming along. Will be grateful if you can share your experiences, good and bad.

Will it notify/beep to acknowledge that it saw someone pass by or just alert when it detects a high temperature?

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We have different option commissioned at the site.

At the ICU, It doesn't open the door if
1. Temp > 37.2 (remember .3C due to tolerance)
2. If there is not face mask
3. If the door sanitiser station was not used
4. If the person was not authorised (accredited medical staff)

We have offered an option to add compliance (where the staff have mandatory testing every 14 days) with no feedback yet.

The main foyer only has 1 and 4 being checked

Oops, forgot about the alerts

The Security supervisor has a tablet with software that alerts him, the desk station screen also provides and alert. (via an encoder as the this is replicated from the DeepinView NVR, and the Central monitoring centre views all the areas.

Lastly, the logs are uploaded to SQL to provide statistical data as it is a novelty at the moment.

This was a webinar that we had last month prior to the deployment.

Last edited:

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
and it got us a discount for allowing them to use the site. Not sure if you would be able to do so as I see that no federal organisation can use them. Probably only the private sector....