Thief steals bicycle from neighbor's garage

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Thief abandons one bicycle, and then enters neighbor's garage, and steals one of their bicycles. I gave the videos and a bunch of still captures to the neighbor, and she gave it all to the cops. As I had hoped, they immediately recognized the guy (apparently, they deal with him at least once per week), and they're now searching for him. They said because he entered their garage, it's a felony. And the bike is worth about $1700, so that may well make it a felony as well. It will be interesting to find out if they catch him, if they recover the bike, and what happens in the long run.

StefanB

n3wb
Reaction score
Thief abandons one bicycle, and then enters neighbor's garage, and steals one of their bicycles. I gave the videos and a bunch of still captures to the neighbor, and she gave it all to the cops. As I had hoped, they immediately recognized the guy (apparently, they deal with him at least once per week), and they're now searching for him. They said because he entered their garage, it's a felony. And the bike is worth about $1700, so that may well make it a felony as well. It will be interesting to find out if they catch him, if they recover the bike, and what happens in the long run.

Nice quality. What are you running?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice quality. What are you running?
I dare not say. Those three cameras are some old ones that I bought before I knew any better. They're from the brand who must not be named.

They do quite well in good light, but are fairly bad in low light. They are 4 megapixels, however, so in bright light the resolution is appreciated. But had this event happened at night the results would have been extremely disappointing. But then at that distance, and at night, it would be hard to find any camera that would perform very well, I guess.

I am looking forward to getting some better replacements for them. I'd like to keep the relatively high resolution, but have good low-light performance.

I am running Blue Iris on a dedicated Win 10 PC, so the system will accommodate just about any cameras. My hope is that during the time I've lived with these cameras, the state of the art has improved so that I can find replacements with at least 4 megapixel resolution, but with comparable low-light performance to the Dahua 2231 units that I also have.

Those 2231s do much better in low light, but the 1080P resolution does limit them.

As is often said in photography: "There's no free lunch."

But that doesn't mean that things aren't getting better all of the time!

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
That is too crazy at daytime. Looks like this guy know her place well. I think he will come again if can't catch him. Ask the lady install some cams.
We discussed a camera system, and of course I'd set her up with a properly-secured Blue Iris system and some good cameras from you! :)

She also needs an alarm system with motion detection in the garage, which she insists on leaving open a lot of the time. She was home when this happened, and she leaves the door between the house and garage unlocked as well. So this could have turned into something of a home invasion had he decided to just open that door.

It is an eye-opening thing. It was pretty bold of that guy to just walk right in during the day like that. Around here, a large percentage of the people are armed. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable walking into a stranger's garage or house in this town.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Ask her to add this latest new one with A Build in Loud speaker. :headbang:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dare not say. Those three cameras are some old ones that I bought before I knew any better. They're from the brand who must not be named.

They do quite well in good light, but are fairly bad in low light. They are 4 megapixels, however, so in bright light the resolution is appreciated. But had this event happened at night the results would have been extremely disappointing. But then at that distance, and at night, it would be hard to find any camera that would perform very well, I guess.

I am looking forward to getting some better replacements for them. I'd like to keep the relatively high resolution, but have good low-light performance.

I am running Blue Iris on a dedicated Win 10 PC, so the system will accommodate just about any cameras. My hope is that during the time I've lived with these cameras, the state of the art has improved so that I can find replacements with at least 4 megapixel resolution, but with comparable low-light performance to the Dahua 2231 units that I also have.

Those 2231s do much better in low light, but the 1080P resolution does limit them.

As is often said in photography: "There's no free lunch."

But that doesn't mean that things aren't getting better all of the time!
These: 5442 series of cams.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Ask her to add this latest new one with A Build in Loud speaker. :headbang:

These: 5442 series of cams.
Those look excellent. 4K resolution is about 8 megapixels which is pretty spectacular, especially if they do good at night. I've got to give them a try.

My only reservation is that they're bullet style, and we have endless spiderweb issues with bullets. If I use them, I'd probably have to make sure they're mounted low so I can brush them off daily. The other thing that can help is grinding or sawing off the overhanging "eyebrow" shade so that any webs end up in direct contact with the front surface, which usually makes them less visible. It's the ones that are stretched out away from the face of the camera, free to blow in the wind, that trigger endless motion alerts.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those look excellent. 4K resolution is about 8 megapixels which is pretty spectacular, especially if they do good at night. I've got to give them a try.

My only reservation is that they're bullet style, and we have endless spiderweb issues with bullets. If I use them, I'd probably have to make sure they're mounted low so I can brush them off daily. The other thing that can help is grinding or sawing off the overhanging "eyebrow" shade so that any webs end up in direct contact with the front surface, which usually makes them less visible. It's the ones that are stretched out away from the face of the camera, free to blow in the wind, that trigger endless motion alerts.
IMHO, the 5442 series of cams are the best bet overall right now.
One example:
Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua) | IP Cam Talk

StefanB

n3wb
Reaction score
and we have endless spiderweb issues with bullets.
I've a site in the South African Bushveld with that problem.
Knobhead that owns the place reckons insects are drawn by the IR on the camera. Free lunch and all that for the spiders. Seems sound.
Solved it by tying a mothball in a piece of hessian around the base of the camera. The hessian actually blends into the style of the place and doesn't look too bad.
No spiders and many fewer insects around at night in general which is a blessing all round.