Thieves from last night

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The video is not really exciting at all. But i am more posting this because after seeing this .. I realize i need to figure out something better camera wise or settings/ lighting wise . Any ideas?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Khem... khem... you should probably already know it if you been sticking around, but Longse s500/Huisun 10x combo will do wonders as far as best cheap low light cams ;)

Aside from that, you will need to add more IR light or other lighting source. Btw, what cams are these?

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-270-Degree-Outdoor-White-Doppler-Motion-Activated-LED-Security-Floodlight-MSH27920DLWDF/203303759?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203303759-_-N

No issues with it at all and its bright as HELL.

seems the views are very wide. I like to have wide cameras high up to see more of the area and close ups on vital areas. My car is not IMO a vital area since its just a car and what ever inside is not going to hurt my feelings if taken.

As far as the inside of the house well there is layered security in there starting with the two lovable but VERY well trained shepherds followed up with me and my array of toys that go bang.

Last edited by a moderator:

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[h=1]LaView LV-KN988P84A​4 Premium IP Surveillance System 8 Channel NVR + 4 x Full HD 1080P Day/Night In/Outdoor Cameras is the system i have [/h]

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
very poor placement and aiming, none of your IR is even pointed at any place a human could be.. are you expecting them to stand ontop of your AC and Van? it looks like that was your plan.

no idea why everyone puts wide angles up high for a driveway, its the place your most likely going to get an ID and its full of choke points.. You need zoom, badly on your driveway.. the hoods and roofs of your car are of no interest.

That back camera should not be looking at a wall, its screwing up your image and waisting pixels, a full 1/3rd of the image is an overexposed wall...the IR should be pointed right down the path they walked and you should not have an inch of wall or soffit in the frame.... I have to presume from the looks of things you put the cameras up and never actually did any walk testing at night to see how ineffective they are.

any time you tweak a setting or play with anything at night you have to test it, it can look awesome on your monitor but once you walk out and give it a real life target you see the great quality was just an illusion and now your a blurry smear thats impossible to identify.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^ took the words right out of my mouth but in a more political way then i could have said it

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
very poor placement and aiming, none of your IR is even pointed at any place a human could be.. are you expecting them to stand ontop of your AC and Van? it looks like that was your plan.

no idea why everyone puts wide angles up high for a driveway, its the place your most likely going to get an ID and its full of choke points.. You need zoom, badly on your driveway.. the hoods and roofs of your car are of no interest.

That back camera should not be looking at a wall, its screwing up your image and waisting pixels, a full 1/3rd of the image is an overexposed wall... and the IR should be pointed right down the path they walked... I have to presume from the looks of things you put the cameras up and never actually did any walk testing at night to see how ineffective they are.
You are correct that i did not do any night testing on the cameras at all. I agree that the one camera is pointed to closely to the wall i just have not fixed it yet. But the path they took is coming from my neighbors back yard and walking up to the corner of my house. I have the camera pointed towards my back gate. As far as the drive way cam , The cam was mounted where there was attic access and the thought that if i put it under the eve you would only be able to see in between the cars and that was the last place i expected anyone to be walking. But in this video they are hiding from someone and choose to go that route. But i totally agree as it stands right now it was not very effective in the identification of anyone. Is there a good suggestion for a cam that would be more effective in the current location? I have a line ran to the back of the house that i have not messed with and i think i will put that facing from the gate out . and swapping the camera angle from the side and turn it towards the driveway giving me another angle. I appreciate your feed back .

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are correct that i did not do any night testing on the cameras at all. I agree that the one camera is pointed to closely to the wall i just have not fixed it yet. But the path they took is coming from my neighbors back yard and walking up to the corner of my house. I have the camera pointed towards my back gate. As far as the drive way cam , The cam was mounted where there was attic access and the thought that if i put it under the eve you would only be able to see in between the cars and that was the last place i expected anyone to be walking. But in this video they are hiding from someone and choose to go that route. But i totally agree as it stands right now it was not very effective in the identification of anyone. Is there a good suggestion for a cam that would be more effective in the current location? I have a line ran to the back of the house that i have not messed with and i think i will put that facing from the gate out . and swapping the camera angle from the side and turn it towards the driveway giving me another angle. I appreciate your feed back .
Hikvision is what most have. federman is the man tho and I'm sure his insight will fulfill your questions.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you need an 6-8mm on that driveway, in corridor mode.. that thin strip between your cars is the prime choke point, its naturally going to provide the most cover, ample escape routes, and quick access to both vehicles.. if someone drives by while there inside the'll notice a door wide open, they will all do this so take advantage of it.. get them here, if you want a wide overview of your front yard you'll need another camera.. one that's not looking at 1/4 roof and has amazing low light.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what can i say, except that i am still learning .
you learn by making mistakes. now you have able video now you can adjust accordingly

Are you using WDR by chance? it looks like there was no tuning of those cameras with contrast etc etc. seems the only light its getting is from the IR but you can boost up the dark spots

Clearly there is a street light out there i can see it reflecting of the white suv looks like you may need to play with it a bit

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you learn by making mistakes. now you have able video now you can adjust accordingly

Are you using WDR by chance? it looks like there was no tuning of those cameras with contrast etc etc. seems the only light its getting is from the IR but you can boost up the dark spots

Clearly there is a street light out there i can see it reflecting of the white suv looks like you may need to play with it a bit
I do not see wdr in my settings anywhere. I am going to start leaving the drive way lights on that are under the eve. for the time being that will provide a good bit more light. until i can find a better camera for that area. On the back gate camera . I have adjusted it out from the wall and i am going to be changing the flood lights i have that are over the gate to motion to give more light in that area. You are also correct that i have adjusted the contrast or any off those settings and will be doing that also.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At least they didn't mess with the Rebel. Would have to kill someone!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you got really lucky to learn more from this experience than you lost.. count your blessings and ramp up security a few notches.

one of the best things you can do with a new camera system is to put it into the worst case lighting scenario and go do a walk test long after the sun has gone down.. put your self into there heads, look for shit to steal and then go grab it and take it away.. and repeat a few times with unlocked doors and whatnot, absolutely worst case security scenerios you can come up with.. then go back and review all the footage and come up with a plan to make it more effective than it was... then repeat until your satisfied that you have money well spent.

so many people skip the critical step of testing it all out and then only when its far too late did they realize it was all basically a waste of money and false sense of security... are you going to buy a gun to protect your family but never actually shoot it and know it works and you know how to work it until the worst possible time? Security requires testing and verifying or its an illusion to make you feel better.

I do security penetration testing, on networks.. because its the only way to know if any one thing is undermining all the rest of the security.. same applies to the physical world.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got this same system the OP has from Newegg last Black Friday. While I'm well read on camera systems, it's the first NVR system I've had. I'm still trying to figure out the capabilities and limits. Putting it through it's paces is the best way to learn. I have figured out the 4mm, 78 deg FOV is too wide for the eves. But for now I'm playing with what I have.

LaView support is next to worthless. I asked how to turn IR off on the cameras, and was told to set it to day mode.

To get to the WDR (and other camera settings) you need to turn on virtual host on the NVR. Browse to the NVR IP, then config/network/advanced, check enable virtual host. Then you go to System/camera management and the link to the far right will get you in the cameras.

Bradley

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah thats a big problem with those kits, they are all wide angle lenses.. those are only good up close and personal, right by your front door or indoors.

more often than not a little zoom is called for, especially when owners want discrete installs without in your face cameras.. so a kit full of mostly 6mm-8mm with perhaps 1 2-4mm would make alot more effective systems.. even for a generic one size fits all kit.