Thieves took my DVR!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the first I have seen of these, smart idea. I could just see them remove the hinges and No Go on removing the door. LOL

I do plan on installing a Camera in our Garage in the near future. Our garage door got left open one night and someone, probably kids, went through our car. Only got a Phone Charger. Funny but they left my power tools, our Stihl Weedeater, Mower, tools, etc. Haha these kids now a days don't know how to use tools, mower, etc. haha.

The mistake I made was get a new quiet garage door opener, even replaced the rollers with nylon rollers. Our door is so quiet that we don't hear it after we close it and enter the house. What happen is a broom blocked the sensor and the door opened back up, again we did not hear it open.

Adding a magnetic contact installed/glued for our alarm system to warn me if the door is open. Our new Opener can use the myQ but I don't want to get on their cloud and have the ability for us or someone else hack/open our garage door.
My nightly routine before going to bed and setting the alarm is to open the garage entry door, just briefly, and making sure the garage door is down, even if I know it is down.

A few years ago we had a juvenile delinquent going through the neighborhood doing what he did best. He would get out of his house around 1 or 2am and cruise the neighborhood vandalizing cars. I went to bed ahead of my wife one night and she had forgotten to put the garage door down; a couple days later the JD knifed the side of my truck in the driveway. My thought was what would have happened if our garage door would have been up? He would have knifed and gone through the cars that were actually of value and had things in them, and had access to everything in the garage.

It's just a quick check, but if I don't do it with my pre-bed, nightly routine then it just doesn't sit right with me.

I have a camera in the garage at the entry door to get people coming in, but it also allows me to make sure the door is down regardless of where I am.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My nightly routine before going to bed and setting the alarm is to open the garage entry door, just briefly, and making sure the garage door is down, even if I know it is down.

A few years ago we had a juvenile delinquent going through the neighborhood doing what he did best. He would get out of his house around 1 or 2am and cruise the neighborhood vandalizing cars. I went to bed ahead of my wife one night and she had forgotten to put the garage door down; a couple days later the JD knifed the side of my truck in the driveway. My thought was what would have happened if our garage door would have been up? He would have knifed and gone through the cars that were actually of value and had things in them, and had access to everything in the garage.

It's just a quick check, but if I don't do it with my pre-bed, nightly routine then it just doesn't sit right with me.

I have a camera in the garage at the entry door to get people coming in, but it also allows me to make sure the door is down regardless of where I am.
There is a timer on this opener that let's say after an hour it will automatically close the door. I have not turned this feature on. It would be nice to have it auto close at a certain time, say 11 or 12pm

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a timer on this opener that let's say after an hour it will automatically close the door. I have not turned this feature on. It would be nice to have it auto close at a certain time, say 11 or 12pm
I can do that with mine too, but as convenient as it is it would be more of an inconvenience.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can do that with mine too, but as convenient as it is it would be more of an inconvenience.
It would be especially inconvenient if you have a long driveway and you've walked out to the letter box and it decides it's time to close.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
While folks here in the USA do worry about home invasion, it really is not that common, as it is in other countries. Obviously, in liberal cites it is more common, but most folks have never had their door kicked in.

In my 68 years, I have lived in 17 different homes and only had the front door kicked in once. Our house in New Orleans uptown area. This is of course a liberal city. that was the only time my home was breached.
Home invasion is unheard of over here. Most burglars will try to avoid people being home. I've probably only ever heard of 2 home invaions in the last 50yrs and both of those were in the papers. Mostly we suffer burglaries which is why the switch to multipoint locking upvc doors took place, well that and energy efficiency as well. You'd be hard puished to find a door in the UK that isn't upvc and multipoint. Moist insurance companies also specify minimum specs for locks. Gte anti-snap handles and locks and you're pretty much good to go even with a level 2 door against all but the non casual thief.

We learnt about the importance of non accessible hinges a long time ago. Again all doors are designed with the hinges internall, the frames are anti-jemmy and shield the gaps in the door. Even window systems have the glass beaded internally (the 1st ones didn't but it soon changed when burglars started removing the glass by removing the beading) and opening windows have mutlipoint lock systems.