Thieves took my DVR!

JBjorn

n3wb
Reaction score
An alarm would have 8+ hours of backup with a working battery. With video You simply need 10-15 minuets of power reserves unless they cut power and wait. This allows you to detect someone before they enter the home. I can get push notifications anywhere I am. Instantly. A direct call to the local police with visual confirmation of someone on you property gets a very quick response in almost every municipality.
Do you have a power outage alarm as well? Wouldn't know which ones to recommend. But, seems like something worth while looking into. They can send text messages too.

Edit: And, looks like some UPS's support custom scripts on power events.

Last edited:

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't beleive in the US that most people still seem to have traditional wooden doors with 2 ordinary hinges and a handle lock.

Over here, even a basic SR1 door has multipoint locking:

This would be an SR1 / 2 door lock - main handle lock and then shoot bolts that lock the side of the door at top and bottom as well, 5 locking points total:

The weak point in EU doors is the Euro locks whcih can be snapped but luckily there are high security anti snap / pick replacements that just slide in with the removal of 1 screw:

I would say typical in the USA is 3 hinges and an "entry lockset" (think that's the right term - a traditional door knob with built in key lock) and a deadbolt lock. That's what I have had in all the houses I have lived in for the last 50 years or so. Before that, when young we didn't have the deadbolt and I don't recall how many hinges were on the house I grew up in. Some exterior doors are wood (solid not hollow core) and a lot are metal clad.

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So is this what ya'll are talking about?

View attachment 156330
Yes, that's one that has been mentioned. But I might just cut a 16 penny nail short and pop that in. Easier to get and almost as strong I would say. And no need to countersink the hole if you have to drill holes for it.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I heard All Doors must now Swing both ways :)
I've seen this before and every time I gotta watch it...it IS funny and she does a great job with her comedic delivery and timing.

Believe it or not circa 1998 when I was still working for a city in N. CA. the IT dept. had enabled some features on the city's MS Exchange E-mail server for Outlook which would not let me notify a vendor that they had sent me cadmium plated screws, not the stainless steel ones I ordered! :lol:
That was 25 years ago!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have any doors that swing out but this is what I did several years ago, guess these security latches are catching on, I see there is a video made, though he installed his way too low. IMO

1678452634526.png1678452722955.png
1678453328867.png

I got introduced to these when our grandson was born 7 years ago, our son-in-law had a company come out and install security gates, locks, tamper resistant outlets, etc., I won't tell you what he paid for this. :) We both have Pools in our backyards. Anyway, I liked the security door latches and found them at Home Depot, installed them on our Front and Back Doors. They were extremely easy to install. Now that our grandson is older we use these latches as a security measure at night while we sleep. Pair these with the Door Jam Latch Strikes I installed and it makes it even harder to kick our doors in.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a European High security Grade 3 (?) door lock:

In a Grade 3/4 door, it would be often accompanied by at least 2 units containing at least 2 of these bolts top and bottom on the opening side and I believe also on the hinge side and maybe the actual top and bottom edges of the door as well all actuated by a multipoint locking system.

The doors internally are reinforced with steel bars that make them impossible to get through with a sledge hammer and on the highest grades even stihil saws with diamond blades for a considerable period of time.

Be aware these doors aren't common. They're expensive and the domain of commercial premsies and the wealthy.

However, even basic UK doors have a multi-point locking system.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that's one that has been mentioned. But I might just cut a 16 penny nail short and pop that in. Easier to get and almost as strong I would say. And no need to countersink the hole if you have to drill holes for it.
This is the first I have seen of these, smart idea. I could just see them remove the hinges and No Go on removing the door. LOL

I do plan on installing a Camera in our Garage in the near future. Our garage door got left open one night and someone, probably kids, went through our car. Only got a Phone Charger. Funny but they left my power tools, our Stihl Weedeater, Mower, tools, etc. Haha these kids now a days don't know how to use tools, mower, etc. haha.

The mistake I made was get a new quiet garage door opener, even replaced the rollers with nylon rollers. Our door is so quiet that we don't hear it after we close it and enter the house. What happen is a broom blocked the sensor and the door opened back up, again we did not hear it open.

Adding a magnetic contact installed/glued for our alarm system to warn me if the door is open. Our new Opener can use the myQ but I don't want to get on their cloud and have the ability for us or someone else hack/open our garage door.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score

In a Grade 3/4 door, it would be often accompanied by at least 2 units containing at least 2 of these bolts top and bottom on the opening side and I believe also on the hinge side and maybe the actual top and bottom edges of the door as well all actuated by a multipoint locking system.

The doors internally are reinforced with steel bars that make them impossible to get through with a sledge hammer and on the highest grades even stihil saws with diamond blades for a considerable period of time.

Be aware these doors aren't common. They're expensive and the domain of commercial premsies and the wealthy.

Impressive. I hope the door frame is just as beefy.

On a related note, we keep something like this on the ambulance when we are unable to gain access in a less destructive manner:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

That is quite impressive. Ive seen some multi-lock doors in the US that have a keyhole in the center that controls 4 bolts on each side of the door. Truth is 90 percent of the doors in the US have decorative glass on the side or top. Anyone can just bust the glass and open from the inside. Double keyed deadbolts are generally not permitted on egress doors.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Impressive. I hope the door frame is just as beefy.

On a related note, we keep something like this on the ambulance when we are unable to gain access in a less destructive manner:

The UK Police use these. I believe some of the highest security rated doors are resiostant to hydraulic door spreaders.

On this website: High Security Front Door | Latham's Steel Doors

I found an image that illustrates the all round bolt defence features (to the right of the main picture) in one of the medium (SR3?) grade doors.

There a high security 4 / 5 bolt handle + catch, 3 bolts on the top of the door, 4 additional bolts as 2x2 bolt units on the side of the door, and 3 bolts on the bottom of the door and 4 high grade hinges. I believe they say 19 bolts total so probably some on the hinge side or dog bolts. The door is welded steel reinforced.

BTW I make no recommendation posisitve or negative for this company. Just one I found on a search.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I would be more worried about how short the projection is.
No need to make it longer than the thickness of the hinge metal plate and when it fully closed, there no really way to get a gap in between two hinge plates enough to slide the plate over the pin to get door out. Have you tried to take a lock door off of it'd hinges? I will tell you it's no easy task to slide metal on metal pulling door outward to get it off.

That why there two hinge in a package, one for top and one for the bottom which mean thieves would have to work creating gap on both side at the same time to successfully get it freed. They would just go after windows instead.

Reaction score
I can't beleive in the US that most people still seem to have traditional wooden doors with 2 ordinary hinges and a handle lock.

Over here, even a basic SR1 door has multipoint locking:

This would be an SR1 / 2 door lock - main handle lock and then shoot bolts that lock the side of the door at top and bottom as well, 5 locking points total:
While folks here in the USA do worry about home invasion, it really is not that common, as it is in other countries. Obviously, in liberal cites it is more common, but most folks have never had their door kicked in.

In my 68 years, I have lived in 17 different homes and only had the front door kicked in once. Our house in New Orleans uptown area. This is of course a liberal city. that was the only time my home was breached.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While folks here in the USA do worry about home invasion, it really is not that common, as it is in other countries. Obviously, in liberal cites it is more common, but most folks have never had their door kicked in.

In my 68 years, I have lived in 17 different homes and only had the front door kicked in once. Our house in New Orleans uptown area. This is of course a liberal city. that was the only time my home was breached.
In Mountain View, GA circa fall of '72 some yahoo fled from a police stop on an arterial about 1/8 mile away, tried kicking in my door. I was waiting with a S&W .38 Patrolman. Fortunately, he quit before he did any real damage and he lived to hop over my back chain link fence, busted in a neighbor's door, who was working on his Harley in the kitchen.... the renter/occcupant/Harley fixer used a motorcycle chain on him and beat him within an inch of his life...still a better outcome, I think, than if he'd made through MY door.

I didn't get much sleep that night......:cool:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In Mountain View, GA circa fall of '72 some yahoo fled from a police stop on an arterial about 1/8 mile away, tried kicking in my door. I was waiting with a S&W .38 Patrolman. Fortunately, he quit before he did any real damage and he lived to hop over my back chain link fence, busted in a neighbor's door, who was working on his Harley in the kitchen.... the renter/occcupant/Harley fixer used a motorcycle chain on him and beat him within an inch of his life...still a better outcome, I think, than if he'd made through MY door.

I didn't get much sleep that night......:cool:
That is what I am hoping for, that is if anyone tries to kick in our door(s) they will give up after half a dozen tries. Had a co-worker tell me he installed a steel bar in his door that would go a foot down into his slab.